water heater distance from wall ?

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeyVon

Reaction score
I will be installing my water heater this week and need to know how far off the wall I can place the water heater.

I have some radiant lines that I would like to run behind the water heater and I also need to get the venting in the joist bay.

I would like to place the water heater around 10" off the wall. Is this possible and does it meet code (California)? Are there special types of straps that can be used for placing water heater that far off the wall?

I can place the heater closer, but it would be a lot tighter.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Clearances are normally specified in the installation manual for the unit. If you don’t have one go to the manufacturer’s website and download one.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Earthquake codes and available straps that meet them may make it hard to mount that far from the wall...at least a few members are from that area, so they'd know better...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It would be hard to make it pass an inspection in CA. In theory, if you take a long strap, and wrap it completely around the heater, and then secure both ends, then that restrains movement both forward and backward. If the heater is in a corner, you might be able to get that secure, but if both ends of the strap are bolted to the same wall, that arrangement does not really keep it from going backwards.

Is there any way you could get some blocking....such as a piece of plywood with a semicircle cut out....and wedge that in between the WH and the wall?

Marty 1

Reaction score
Hi: You might be able to secure the heater with three straps if the wall configuration is right (ie-- in a closet, alcove, etc. ). Marty

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks