Water heater dielectric nipple question

Users who are viewing this thread

doogdoog

Reaction score
Aloha,
I am going to change out my water heater (leaking) and the piping are all copper or brass except for the nipple going into and out of the solar heater which are dielectric nipples. From what I read on the web, it would be fine to use brass nipples instead of dielectric nipples. I just wanted to double check to see if it is OK to use brass nipples instead of dielectric nipples.

Mahalo,
doogdoog

Phog

Reaction score
From a functional standpoint, the brass nipple will reduce corrosion of the tank steel, debatably working better than a dielectric nipple. Local code in your area may (or may not) require a dielectric coupling anyway, even with a brass nipple installed.

doogdoog

Reaction score
From a functional standpoint, the brass nipple will reduce corrosion of the tank steel, debatably working better than a dielectric nipple. Local code in your area may (or may not) require a dielectric coupling anyway, even with a brass nipple installed.
Thanks for replying and I will go with the brass.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have used brass nipples before for hot/cold, easy to work with.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, some of the dielectric nipples also have heat traps in them. They have their good and bad points. If you use them, make sure to get them on the proper port, or you'll block all flow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks