Water Heater Cold Water Inlet "Overflow"

Users who are viewing this thread

Rod

Reaction score

Water Heater: Electric, Bradford White

Model #: M250S6DS2

Concern: Cold Water Inlet "Overflow" Is Active

*SEE PHOTOS

Hello, my name is Rod. Thank you for taking the time to assist me. Please forgive my ignorance of water heater know-how. This is precisely why I request your assistance. (smile) Firstly, I do not know if what I refer to as the "overflow" is indeed an overflow. But, it is definitely attached to the cold water inlet. I recently had my water heater wrapped and noticed some water underneath it yesterday. Not a lot of standing water, but enough to tap your finger against it and make a small 'splash'. You can see in the photo the area beneath the drain valve I had wiped dry. I unwrapped the unit and proceeded to trouble shoot- the drain valve was dry, as well as the TPRV discharge tube. But I did notice moisture coming from a 1/2" PVC tube connected to the cold water inlet.

This is what I refer to as an overflow, if that is correct. I wiped the area dry and directed the PVC tube into a bucket. I checked the bucket 24 hours later (today), and it had about an inch of water in it. The area around the base of my water heater was dry. So, the water heater itself is not leaking.
Of course, the water came from the PVC tube attached to the cold water inlet.

If this is an overflow, please enlighten me on how it is activated, and how often this should occur.

If it is not an overflow PVC tube, please educate me on its purpose along with anything I should be concerned about.

Thank you for your time.
-Rod

WH1.jpg

WH3.jpg

WH2.jpg

WH5.jpg

Probedude

Reaction score
Remove the insulation where that pvc pipe attaches so we can have a better look.

- it's not an overflow but maybe there's a valve under there for an ice maker or RO unit that is no longer installed.

Rod

Reaction score
Remove the insulation where that pvc pipe attaches so we can have a better look.

- it's not an overflow but maybe there's a valve under there for an ice maker or RO unit that is no longer installed.

What's an RO unit do?

Hopefully these will help for you to explain my problem. BTW, I purchased my home new in 2005. There have not been any mods to the unit since then.

This tube should not be leaking, huh? A course of action is appreciated.

Thank you!
-Rod

WH8.jpg

WH7.jpg

WH6.jpg

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
ok I have to say this is the first time I seen a valve like that. At first I was thinking it was a stop and waste. But if it where a waste drain off wouldn't water come out of that constantly like full flow. I hope the other guys can enlighten this young Chicago boy on that valve.

Rod

Reaction score
ok I have to say this is the first time I seen a valve like that. At first I was thinking it was a stop and waste. But if it where a waste drain off wouldn't water come out of that constantly like full flow. I hope the other guys can enlighten this young Chicago boy on that valve.

I never paid much attention to it before. But upon closer examination I thought it was odd too. Especially since I was thinking it was an overflow.
But then I thought, "Why would there be an overflow on the cold water inlet?". But of course, I'm not up on water heaters so I brought my question here.

Now I'm wondering... did the plumber do a sloppy job by using the wrong cold water shut-off valve.? One that has an extra valve, and he decided to run a PVC pipe from it?

Then my next question would be, "Why didn't the inspector catch this?".

Perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions...

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
My only guess is that the mystery line goes to a non-existent expansion tank.

Attachments

• Expansion Tank.jpg
    Expansion Tank.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 6,239

Rod

Reaction score
BTW, I did run my shower HOT to see if any water would drain from the PVC and into the bucket once cold water came in to replace the outgoing hot.

Nothing happend while the shower was running. Nor did anything happen within 5 minutes of shutting the shower off.

But when I checked it about an hour later, there was a little water in the bucket.

So, how long does it take for cold water to replace outgoing hot? How long before the cold water flows into the water heater?

This is what I was trying to figure out while I was trouble shooting it.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
BTW, I did run my shower HOT to see if any water would drain from the PVC and into the bucket once cold water came in to replace the outgoing hot.

Nothing happend while the shower was running. Nor did anything happen within 5 minutes of shutting the shower off.

But when I checked it about an hour later, there was a little water in the bucket.

So, how long does it take for cold water to replace outgoing hot? How long before the cold water flows into the water heater?

This is what I was trying to figure out while I was trouble shooting it.
See what happens when you turn off the ball valve. I am just curious.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cold water fills the tank instantly, as hot water is used.
Good idea, Ratz. I love experiments. :)

Rod

Reaction score
BTW, if it is for an expansion tank shouldn't the plumber have 'capped off' the valve since there is no tank?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If that's it then my valve is upside down, huh?:D

It also means the installer never came back from that long lunch to finish the job. But that's only a guess. That valve may be for something else.

Rod

Reaction score
See what happens when you turn off the ball valve. I am just curious.

I turned off the cold water inlet (if that's what you meant) and nothing happened.

The tube definitely expells water when hot water is used. It seems like about an inch or so a day in my bucket. I hate the thought of wasting that water. That can add up over time.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my research, the only 3-way ball valve I could find with a plastic tube coming down is for winterizing hot water tanks in RV's. The tube somehow sucks antifreeze into the tank from a bucket. But my guess is, you don't live in an RV. :)

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
WTF is going on in here?!?!?!?!

That's a Watts Thermal expansion Ball Valve Shutoff.

It's dumps water when thermal expansion is present, or is malfunctioning which could easily be the case.

Hard pipe copper out of that tank on the cold side, tee off and install a thermal expansion tank and get rid of that valve, install a normal ball valve.

Then reconnect back to that PEX.

Before you do any of this, check your static water pressure at a hose bibb and determine what the pressure is incoming.

If it is above 60, near 80, you got other problems as well.

An expansion tank will provide protection to as little as 1/2 pound of deflection on the bladder, that cannot be achieved with that valve, which is not good at all for the life and longevity of your plumbing system.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water heater

Just what rugged said,
this is a thermal expansion valve
have a plumber replace with a thermal expansion tank

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
My only guess is that the installer was too cheap to install a ST5 expansion tank and use an expansion valve instead. I think I would remove the valve and install a standard ball valve along with a 3/4" female tee and an expansion tank instead.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It will look something like this only it will be supported...this one is not...a simple strap would work...

pic_wh_extank.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks