Water Heater Code Question

Discussion in 'Canadian Plumbing Code Questions' started by besi0004, Nov 8, 2014.

1. besi0004

besi0004 New Member

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting. I want to make sure that my plumber is not taking advantage of my situation and I knew you could help me. :)

We are having some minor plumbing issues addressed as part of the the sale of our home.

I had a plumber come in and he walked around my open basement (we are in a bungalow) pointing out things that should be fixed.

One of the things he quoted as needing to be done is to install a tempering valve at the hot water tank.

The previous owner had the tank professionally installed years ago and the tank does have a dial to control how hot the water can get.

My question is do I need to be spending the 400$ to have him install this tempering valve to meet code or is the dial on the heater sufficient?

Thanks!

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    Millions upon millions of water heaters do NOT have mixing valves on them. They are only needed when you are running the heater at a very high temperature and use the valve to make the water safe to use. HE is trying to "scam" you and therefore, you have to suspect EVERYTHING he tells you that has to be done.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement