Water heater circuit breaker turned self off, can't be turned on

Users who are viewing this thread

The Old Maid

Reaction score
Website
potluck2point0.wordpress.com
The dedicated circuit breaker for the water heater clicked off when we did a load of laundry. It was the fact that we can't turn it back on that is the problem. It won't stay snapped up in the ON position. There's actually no feel of "snap" to it at all.

It's true that we haven't drained the tank yet this year ... but please tell us this is a 99-cent busted spring rather than a plumber/electrician tag-team spending spree.

(Okay to move thread if required.)

Reach4

Reaction score
Is this breaker in the breaker box? If yes, did you flip the breaker to the OFF position first, and only then flip it to ON? If not, try that. If that did not work, the breaker is defective. You don't repair breakers; you replace them.

The Old Maid

Reaction score
Website
The breaker is in a separate, dedicated water-heater-only breaker box with a separate, dedicated water-heater-only electric meter.

And yes, we've been doing much flipping. There's just no catch, no snap, no stick. It wants to hang down and stay down.

So we're calling an electrician rather than a plumber? We're sure the tank isn't involved? (Also, if anyone can guess how much it might cost, that would help us.)

BTW when a house circuit pops, it shows a red bar in the circuit. This one doesn't.

Reach4

Reaction score
So we're calling an electrician rather than a plumber? We're sure the tank isn't involved? (Also, if anyone can guess how much it might cost, that would help us.)

If it was a short in the WC, I would expect a snap as the breaker turned on, and another snap when the breaker blew. So yes, I think an electrician is the right person. Now that does not ensure that there is not a problem with the water heater also. I am thinking that it seems probable that the problem is just electrical. I am neither an electrician nor a plumber, but I have changed breakers and added new ones.

You might want to look for a brand name and maybe a model number on that breaker box before calling, to help make more likely that the electrician brings the right breaker.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A short circuit in the water heater COULD cause your symptoms because it would not let the breaker reset before tripping off again. But since that and/or a bad breaker would have the same symptoms and you apparently do not have the equipment or experience to tell the difference call an electrician and he will tell you if you need a plumber. If you called me first, however, I would be able to diagnose which it was and fix either.

The Old Maid

Reaction score
Website
Update: it was a combination of frayed wiring and possibly bad breaker. With the breaker switched and the wire replaced, we saved the cost of calling out the plumber for what turned out to be a job for the electrician. Thank you for your help!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Update: it was a combination of frayed wiring and possibly bad breaker. With the breaker switched and the wire replaced, we saved the cost of calling out the plumber for what turned out to be a job for the electrician. Thank you for your help!

Frayed solid conductor wire ?

I hate when that happens.

Mouse traps may help.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks