Water heater broke. Need help on how to properly connect flex hoses/water lines so I can use water i

Users who are viewing this thread

john9112

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My 30 gallon electric water heater just broke (massive leak). I am actually moving in 3 weeks (I live in a tiny house) and want to avoid buying a new water heater right now, because I probably will get a smaller tank or get a tankless. It's also summer here so tap water is pretty warm.

I turned the shut off valve off and I still get some cold water pressure in the faucets, but I can't take a shower (barely any pressure). Assuming this is because the water line inside the walls goes up vertical and that it relies on the hot water line for pressure.

Anyways, I want to remove the water heater and properly cap off/connect the two lines. I attached a photo for you to see.

axeman-3-01.jpg

Can I remove the hot and cold water line from the water heater and connect the two with a 3/4 MIP thread? If so, would that help with the water pressure in the shower?

Additionally, what is the safest/best way to remove the electrical cords from the water heater?

Thanks!

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Very likely the threads on both ends of your flexible water heater connectors are the same (3/4" FIP on the connectors, 3/4" MIP on the shutoff valve/hot water supply). In which case, yes, you can just disconnect the water heater, remove one of the flexible connectors, and land the free end of the other water heater connector onto the open MIP threads at the wall. Read the label for how much to tighten it; the label should say something like "hand tight plus 1/2 turn with a wrench".

As to the electrical, shut off the breaker before draining the water heater. Since you don't have a way to confirm that you have the correct breaker, I suggest you get someone to help you with more electrical experience. They can open the electrical box at the water heater, verify the absence of voltage, disconnect the wires and cap them off, and then ideally put a lock off on the water heater breaker. The whip for the water heater can then stay in place. Or if you preferred, they could disconnect the whip at the wall.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:

john9112

Reaction score
Hey there thanks for the response! Both of the flex hoses are female 3/4 that connect to the water heater. I was just going to unscrew both ends connecting to water heater, and then connect those two with a 3/4 mip thread. So this will work?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, you could use a 3/4" lead free brass nipple to connect the two ends currently connected to the water heater.

But if the left hand hose (in the picture) terminates at the wall at a 3/4" MIP adapter, as I expect, then I would think it would be easier to remove the left hand hose and connect the right hand hose to that 3/4" MIP adapter.

Cheers, Wayne

john9112

Reaction score
Hey Wayne, yes you are right that would look a little bit cleaner. But since this is just temporary and the other end of flex hoses are push connect, I think it will be easiest just buying a double male end adapter to connect the 2 ends of the hoses. I will just get this here:

brass-nipple-3-quarter.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ah, if the other ends of both connectors is directly push to connect, then your idea is simpler. The hex nipple is a good idea to have something to hold back against when tightening (use two wrenches).

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks