Water heater anode rod problem

Users who are viewing this thread

loop1

Reaction score
We pass our well water through a 1-micron pleated filter and a UV sterilizer, but get a bad odor from the hot water only. When I pulled the anode rod from our 15 month old electric hot water tank, and it was completely covered by a thin coating of a matte, dark brown material. This coating is electrically non-conductive and scrapes off fairly easily. Any thoughts of what this material is, and how to stop it from coating the aluminum anode and killing its protective ability?

Reach4

Reaction score
We pass our well water through a 1-micron pleated filter and a UV sterilizer, but get a bad odor from the hot water only. When I pulled the anode rod from our 15 month old electric hot water tank, and it was completely covered by a thin coating of a matte, dark brown material. This coating is electrically non-conductive and scrapes off fairly easily. Any thoughts of what this material is, and how to stop it from coating the aluminum anode and killing its protective ability?
For a UV system, you will have needed to sanitize the plumbing downstream of the UV, including the WH. To generate H2S (hydrogen sulfide) in a WH, you need metal ions, supplied by the anode, SRB (sulfur reducing bacteria), and sulfate in the water. If you can kill off the SRB in the plumbing after the UV, that should prevent new H2S from being generated.

I don't know about the coating on the anode. I think the SRB produce precipitate that is pretty black. Also, flush your WH to take out precipitate.

Here is my writeup for well and plumbing sanitizing: https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/

The UV will not get rid of H2S that has already been produced. Well sanitizing will knock that down for a while. Your while may vary. It may be months or years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks