Water heater (and A/C drain line) installation review

Users who are viewing this thread

TSGarp007

Reaction score
WH # 3 pan.jpg
WH #2 top view.jpg
WH #4 rust.jpg
WH #1 overview.jpg

This is in an apartment to condo conversion 2nd floor unit (Florida). Built in 1994, I bought it as a condo conversion in 2004. Unfortunately at the time I last lived in this unit (2007) my DIY and homeowner maintenance knowledge was no higher than being able to change a door knob or hang a picture. I have no idea what the original water heater and A/C drain configuration was when I lived there. The unit has been rented out since 2007 to various tenants. Current tenants are moving out after 5 years and I am trying to rehab it for new renters. Until recently I was an out of town landlord, using a manager. Now I am back in the area and can see all my problems first hand.

In 2012 a new water heater was installed (licensed plumber). In 2014 or 2015 a leak in the A/C (overhead "pancake" unit) drain pan occurred, and an HVAC guy (licensed) replaced the A/C pan. I don't know where the original A/C drain exited to, but right now it drains into the water heater pan. As a result there is standing water in the pan and the water heater has visible rust on the exterior. The water heater pan does have a plumbed drain, and that PVC pipe penetrates into the drywall.

The water heater also appears to have the pressure relief valve plumbed to a PVC pipe that penetrates beyond the drywall.

I'm wondering where are these PVC pipes going to? HOA contact was not helpful. Recommendations? I'd like to pipe away the A/C condensation drain and not have standing water in the house.

Thanks!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I see multiple code violations, chances are that your city code is very close to mine. My suggestion would be to invite a plumber to go over what you have. And, check contractors' license with the State Board to make sure the licenses are true, in good standing and not revoked.

The a/c guy should have never placed the condensation drain into the pan. This pan is for emergency water heater leaks only. See how the pan drain is higher than the ban bottom? this lets water "sit" in the pan - resulting in water heater rust damage that shortens the expected life of the WH.

The plumber who installed the WH is probably guilty of some serious code violations too, like using PVC pipes for water supplies and T&P valve drain line. I would replace the WH and re-do all piping.

TSGarp007

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

http://codes.iccsafe.org/app/book/content/PDF/2010 Florida Codes/Plumbing/Chapter 5 - Water Heaters.pdf

The link above should be the codes in place when the work was done. I coudln't copy/paste. I notice in section 504.6 (Requirements for discharge piping) several discrepancies (this refers to discharge piping of a pressure relief valve):

1. Not be directly connected to the drainage system (this may or may not be the case, I have no idea)
2. Discharge through an air gap located in the same room
5. Discharge to the floor, to the pan serving the water heater or storage tank, to a waste receptor or to the outdoors (Not sure how it can discharge into an air gap in the same room and also discharge the outdoors???)
7. Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable by the building occupants.
9. Be installed as to flow by gravity (this pipe actually goes UP to the drywall penetration)

Some of the plastic is labeled as CPVC, so the pressure relief valve tubing material might be OK.

Who am I more angry at - HVAC (last couple of years) or plumber (4 years ago)? Do I demand compensation or the work to be redone - by whom? Is discharging the T&P valve into a bucket or the hot water heater pan in a closet on the 2nd floor of a condominium building really better than the way it is piped now (with that drain possibly going to the exterior)?

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Who am I more angry at - HVAC (last couple of years) or plumber (4 years ago)? Do I demand compensation or the work to be redone - by whom? Is discharging the T&P valve into a bucket or the hot water heater pan in a closet on the 2nd floor of a condominium building really better than the way it is piped now (with that drain possibly going to the exterior)?"

The a/c guy. Forget litigation, so many years after the installation. Things like these should be inspected before final payment, not 2 or 4 years later. This still doesn't make the plumber smell like roses.

The a/c condensation line should discharge to the outside. Keep it separate from the WH. Can't run a discharge line using laws of gravity? run a tube with a pump instead, to the outside or a sink drain near by.

Daltex

Reaction score
I would get a HVAC contractor to take a look. It could be the pipe is coming from the emergency overflow pan under the evaporator coil. I've never seen one drain into a DWH pan before but also never seen a condensation drain terminate there either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks