Water Heater & AC Issues

Users who are viewing this thread

NJSteve

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I live in a townhouse apartment, and I’ve suddenly developed issues with both my central AC and my water heater within a 72-hour window. The maintenance guy thinks it’s just a coincidence. I’m not so sure. I’d love to hear your thoughts.

The AC is set to 75 and it began running more than usual over the weekend. I noticed that it would run for 20 to 30 minutes, then shut off for exactly 6 minutes, then run for another 20 to 30. This continued all day until I decided to shut off the system to prevent it from overheating. The maintenance guy changed the capacitor and put in more refrigerant, but it did not solve the problem. Its 78 in here now. And even when it runs for more than an hour, it does not lower the temperature in the apartment.

Shortly after the AC problem developed, I noticed new sounds coming from the water heater. This is a five-year-old Lochinvar that has never had any problems before. I’m not sure if the burner is igniting, but it sounds like it’s clicking on and off 5 to 7 times during each cycle. Of course, a watched pot never boils. It did not do this while the maintenance guy was here and he declared that there’s either nothing wrong or there was air in the gas line that resolved itself. But as soon as he left it started doing the same thing again.

The HVAC system and the water heater are side-by-side, but they are on different circuits. Maintenance said it’s not an electrical problem or I would notice issues throughout the apartment. I do not have lights flickering or any other electrical problems. Is there anything at all that would explain this, or is it truly just a coincidence that these two major appliances that sit side-by-side developed problems within 72 hours of each other?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks