Water Heater About to Blow - Need advice!

Discussion in 'Tankless Water Heater Forum' started by jerzeegirl, Oct 25, 2007.

1. jerzeegirl

jerzeegirl New Member

Lol!

Tell that to my husband. I would turn it off in a sec. Already I had a battle with him to keep it at 80 degrees (which is pretty pleasant to me).

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    I've told this story before, but when I lived in Kuwait, (this is common in many parts of the world) the water wasn't on all day so they have storage tanks on the roof. The water in that tank at the end of the day would be so hot, it would scald you. So, we turned the WH in the apartment off, and used the hot tap for cold, and the cold tap for hot, and hoped you didn't run all of the cold water out of the water heater. Course, it got dicey in the season changes, eventually, we had to turn the WH back on for a month or two.

3. jerzeegirl

jerzeegirl New Member

Wh

That is an interesting story! I think we do have a lot of passive solar gain in the attic. In fact, here is a question I have been mulling over: Assuming that insulation keeps the heat from getting into the tank as much as it does from getting out, I was wondering if there is a point where a water heater should not be thoroughly insulated because the passive solar gain from being in a very hot attic is greater than the amount of heat loss from the tank by having less insulation. In other words, can too much insulation be a hindrance rather than a help?

4. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

Repairing and remodeling homes
    Impressive Lady

Wow ,You're one smart Gal. Any chance You'd move to Ca.? It's warm here,
    Oh, I'm afraid Fred isn't part of The Deal !! :D

5. jerzeegirl

jerzeegirl New Member

Ah California....

lol! Hurricanes vs. Fires and Earthquakes. I lived in California for two years in the late 1970s - in a handmade cabin in Canyon (located between Montclair and Moraga - near Oakland). Beautiful place - I wonder if it's still there. :)