Water Heater About to Blow - Need advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

jerzeegirl

Reaction score
Lol!

Tell that to my husband. I would turn it off in a sec. Already I had a battle with him to keep it at 80 degrees (which is pretty pleasant to me).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've told this story before, but when I lived in Kuwait, (this is common in many parts of the world) the water wasn't on all day so they have storage tanks on the roof. The water in that tank at the end of the day would be so hot, it would scald you. So, we turned the WH in the apartment off, and used the hot tap for cold, and the cold tap for hot, and hoped you didn't run all of the cold water out of the water heater. Course, it got dicey in the season changes, eventually, we had to turn the WH back on for a month or two.

jerzeegirl

Reaction score
Wh

That is an interesting story! I think we do have a lot of passive solar gain in the attic. In fact, here is a question I have been mulling over: Assuming that insulation keeps the heat from getting into the tank as much as it does from getting out, I was wondering if there is a point where a water heater should not be thoroughly insulated because the passive solar gain from being in a very hot attic is greater than the amount of heat loss from the tank by having less insulation. In other words, can too much insulation be a hindrance rather than a help?

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Impressive Lady

Wow ,You're one smart Gal. Any chance You'd move to Ca.? It's warm here,
Oh, I'm afraid Fred isn't part of The Deal !! :D

jerzeegirl

Reaction score
Ah California....

lol! Hurricanes vs. Fires and Earthquakes. I lived in California for two years in the late 1970s - in a handmade cabin in Canyon (located between Montclair and Moraga - near Oakland). Beautiful place - I wonder if it's still there. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks