Water hammering (PEX)

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidScribner

Reaction score
I had no problems with water hammering before I put in my new tub/surround. I installed about 2 feet of pex onto my existing copper pipe, with a new single valve for my shower/tub. One of the advantages of pex was suppose to be no hammering. Not sure what happened, can anyone help?

Reach4

Reaction score
I had no problems with water hammering before I put in my new tub/surround. I installed about 2 feet of pex onto my existing copper pipe, with a new single valve for my shower/tub. One of the advantages of pex was suppose to be no hammering. Not sure what happened, can anyone help?
Describe the sound that you hear. Is it a single bang that you hear when you shut off the water with that valve?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some valves specify that you need to install hammer arresters when installing the valve. Many do not. IF the valve is not held tight to blocking, inertia can make things bang around. An inspection camera looking into the wall after you take the valve cover off might give you more of an idea of what's happening.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The problem might be in the new valve. A loose washer or something in the valve could be the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks