Water Hammer when Clothes Washer shuts off water

Users who are viewing this thread

Adenwork2

Reaction score
I have had a water hammer problem for about a year. This started after I had to replace one hose bibb and one water hose to the clothes washer. The hot water hose was fused to the hose bibb. I replaced the cold hose bibb also because the old one leaked and the cold hose just because it was old. I replaced the old 4 foot rubber hoses with 6 foot steel reinforced hoses. Since then, when the clothes washer shuts off the water, there is a vibrating bang bang bang bang bang sound that lasts about 5 seconds. It could last 10 seconds if the nearby toilet is refilling at the same time. I can hear the noise throught the whole house.
I also have mild water hammer when the dishwasher shuts off the water. The dishwasher is not close to the clothes washer.
Washer: 16+ year old Kitchen Aid top loader, similar to Whirlpool. No, I never did replace the washer's fill valve. Toilet: Old American Std Cadet with Fluidmaster ballcock fill valve.
Dishwasher: Kitchen Aid about 4 years old.
I do not know if I have any air chambers in the walls.
Should I go back to 4 foot rubber hoses to the washer? What else should I try? Thanks.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They have water hammer arrestors that can be soldered in line. You can find them at most good plumbing supply stores. I would check first and be sure there is not a lose washer in one of the valves causing the same type of sound/problem.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
you must have SOME water chambers, or else...

When you go away for a long weekend or longer, shut the water off, open all the taps and let it drain, drain, drain. This'll work. My opinion. It takes a long time for water to slip out, especially when stuck by a vacuum in a water chamber. This is what I did, and others in my building. It'll reduce the noise by a lot.

David

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks