Water Hammer Piston Direction

Users who are viewing this thread

ssjupiter

Reaction score
Hey all. This is a great forum. Getting lots of great answers. But sometimes its the most basic question that I can't seem to find a consistent answer for. So, I am tight on space and I need to add a couple water hammer arrestors to the H&C supplies to the thermostatic mixing valve. I have seen many orientations for the piston but they all seem to be at odds with each other. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if either, both or none of the water hammer setups in the photos will work. Which would work best?

waterhammer-1.jpg waterhammer-2.jpg waterhammer-3.jpg

ssjupiter

Reaction score
Thank you. It is not vertical or horizontal that I am looking for though. Instructions say "Arrestors should be installed so there is an unobstructed shock path to the arrestor". That sounds like the piston needs to be directly opposite the valve inlet (like image #3), which would be wholly inconvenient. The mini arrestors I have seen all look to be at right angles to the valve inlet like image #2. I am hoping that images 1 and 2 will both work and that I don't have to do #3. If anyone has an answer to this it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Look at the flow of the water before the valve, and try to install the arrestor so it is in line with that flow. Often, it will turn to come out of the wall, so if you put a T there instead of an elbow, you can put the arrestor in line with the supply to the pick off point. It's all about inertia, and there's very little mass in that typical pickoff point coming out of the wall. They can help in any orientation, but will work best when in line like that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks