Water Hammer or Something Else

Users who are viewing this thread

BAYAN SULEMAN

Snoepkont
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently changed my kitchen sink, faucet and the piping underneath. In doing this, I had turned off the water at the main shut off valve. After I was done and turned the water back on, we started noticing that every time a toilet is flushed, there is a rattle under the kitchen sink. We went around the house and tried all faucets, showers, etc., and it only happens when the cold water is turned on then off. And the rattle only happens under the kitchen sink.

At first I thought it could be water hammer but since the rattle is only under the kitchen sink, I'm not sure. I was hoping that someone on this forum may know or have ideas on how to approach solving this issue. Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Bayan

Reach4

Reaction score
After I was done and turned the water back on, we started noticing that every time a toilet is flushed, there is a rattle under the kitchen sink.
At the beginning of the flush? And when you turn off the supply stop valve at the toilet, and then flush, it still happens? I suspect it could be the AAV under the the sink opening.

BAYAN SULEMAN

Snoepkont
Reaction score
At the beginning of the flush? And when you turn off the supply stop valve at the toilet, and then flush, it still happens? I suspect it could be the AAV under the the sink opening.
It happens at the end after the tank fills up with water. We did a check as you suggested: we turned the water off at the toilet and there was no rattle after flushing. However, as we turned the water back on, there was a smaller rattle under the kitchen sink.

Reach4

Reaction score
The end of the fill, when the fill valve shuts off, is when water hammer would happen. I don't know why you would get the effect primarily in your kitchen. One thing you could do is to partially close the stop valve at the toilet. You could also try a water hammer arrestor, but closing that valve some is free.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Drain the house down after turning water heater off. Turn off water open all valves let them open for couple of hours or longer. Turn everything back on after closing all valves, open one at a time ,to pilot me to bleed air out of the lines. This should recharge air cushions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks