Water Hammer - Hosecock - Did I Make a Mistake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Baumgrenze

Reaction score
I have a hosecock that has not seen much use since we remodeled in 2010. It hammers rapidly when the flow is restricted, but stops when the flow is full on. It may have worked when I first installed it, but it does not now. We cannot remember.

I wanted to install a drip irrigation solenoid near it, so I removed the SharkBite that had been installed only to discover that the female thread that tightens it in place does not match any standard pipe fitting thread. I sweated on a brass 1/2" tee and connected the irrigation to the right angle of the tee. I used a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter to change the straight through end of the tee and attached what I believe is a 3/4" Mueller hosecock. Could the increased size be causing the problem? I think I included it because I wanted a hex fitting to grip when I tightened the hosecock to the line.

Here is an image of the hosecock and the overall setup.

baumgrenze-01.jpg

baumgrenze-02.jpg

The plumbing is 1/2 copper run under the insulation and over the flat roof of our house. This is the final drop down from the roof, it that might be a contributing factor.

What do you experts think?

Thanks,

baumgrenze

I think I may have experienced a 'bug' in the forum. My login ID still showed at the top of the page but when I tried to preview the post I was told I needed to login (I was timed out?) If there is a way to have the login ID disappear when a timeout occurs, it would be useful. I would have copied my post to Word before trying to preview it and saved having to reconstruct it all over again.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have a hosecock that has not seen much use since we remodeled in 2010. It hammers rapidly when the flow is restricted, but stops when the flow is full on.

Normally that's a loose faucet washer.
You can unthread the top of that and remove to stem to check for that.

Baumgrenze

Reaction score
Terry,

Thank you for the heads-up. I finally found time to check today.

It was a loose washer. There is a big M cast into the side. I bought it at the local hardware store as a no-kink model.

There is no screw to tighten down the washer, just a domed head to snap it over. Of course it is loose. Thank you China, Inc.

I came up with an interim, quick fix. I found a 1/2" steel washer and cut a slot in from the side wide enough to slip over the shaft. I pushed the washer over the dome and put it all back together. It seems to be working for now. The steel backing stabilizes the rubber.

Does someone still make a decent hose bibb that tightens washers with a real screw?

I thought I'd share my solution in case someone else has the problem.

thanks,
baumgrenze

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I saw your post a few days ago. I'm used to sillcocks and hosebibbs, but never hosecocks. I did a double-take when I saw the title because I thought it said horsecock. So, I looked it up and sure enough there is something called a hosecock. Looks like it's a clamping device to crimp a garden hose to shut off the water, if I understand correctly what I was looking at. But, it ain't a spigot. Inquiries regarding horsecocks should be directed to a different forum.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
There is (what looks like) a lot of plastic used in that Woodford model. I guess that's the direction the world is going now.

Baumgrenze

Reaction score
The hosebibb began to drip after a few days. Inserting a semicircular piece cut from another washer to fill the gap left by the opening I originally cut to clear the 'mushroom stem' that holds the washer seems to have done the trick. Clearly it would be more efficient to cut the steel washer in half and insert half from each side; the larger pieces would be easier to manipulate.

I share the correction in case someone else encounters the problem.

Terry,

Thank you for the heads-up.

I came up with an interim, quick fix. I found a 1/2" steel washer and cut a slot in from the side wide enough to slip over the shaft. I pushed the washer over the dome and put it all back together. It seems to be working for now. The steel backing stabilizes the rubber.

I thought I'd share my solution in case someone else has the problem.

thanks,
baumgrenze

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks