Water Hammer/ Chattering Check Valve Fail

Users who are viewing this thread

Mcgyver

Reaction score
Need some help with my shallow well irrigation setup. Been working great for 15+ years. No pressure tank (pump triggered from controller) This spring old Redjacket packed it in and I replumbed in a 3/4 hp pump. Wellpoint at 22' with water table at 13'. Replaced check valve with an ANKO. Takes about 5-6 cycles of priming/turning on pump gaining about 4-5 bars per cycle. When I get close to prime, I get what i suspect is water hammer and a violent wave of water/air which causes the check valve to open and i lose all prime, check valve remains slightly open until I remove it. It looks undamaged. This is driving me nuts! Thoughts

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are controlling the pump with a pressure switch, you need a pressure tank that is close to the pump, and is connected with a good sized pipe.

Mcgyver

Reaction score
No, no pressure switch. Irrigation controller triggers a relay which send power to the pump. Havent even had to have that running yet as I am manually powering the pump (plugging in) while i am establishing prime.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that gauge right below the black check valve a combination vacuum and pressure gauge? Or just vacuum?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think I'd find a different way to prime it. Your air isn't escaping. Maybe that 90 above the check valve. Make it a tee. This is just an educated guess.

Mcgyver

Reaction score
John, good thought. I purposely angled the pump higher than the piping and more specifically the check valve to try to eliminate that as much as possible

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Losing prime is a big problem when using a pump start relay. Suction leaks are usually the problem. You need a good metal, spring loaded check valve and the vacuum gauge and PVC union are good places to have a suction leak.

Reach4

Reaction score
Shaving foam on joints is good for detecting air leaks. Where the foam gets sucked in, you have a vacuum leak.

Mcgyver

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with losing prime slowly ie vacuum leak, I have a problem with the pump kicking in and the violent wave that springs open the check valve

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It would make more sense to me if you were getting a "violent wave" just as the water hits the end of the sprinkler lines? Usually a check valve on the suction opening up just lets in water to slowly prime the pump, and does not cause any shock. Do you have water at the sprinklers when the wave happens?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks