Water hammer arrestors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Greenmountain

Reaction score
I would assume that in an ideally plumbed boiler system they would not generally be necessary?
But anyone ever use them? Even with relatively slow flow any fast closing valve can cause some hammer, true?
Pros/cons for their use in a zone valved boiler system?
thanks

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It's a closed circulating system where the pressure on both sides of a valve closing is nearly the same, therefore no hammer.

Greenmountain

Reaction score
I thought it was caused by "shock waves" from the impact of moving water being suddenly forced to stop?
Can't the impact waves still travel through the water and piping even in a closed system, regardless of pressure?
If I understand correctly, it's really just a problem with fast shutting valves. The more momentum, and the faster the valve shuts, the more potential for hammer.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Hot water should never hammer unless zone valve piped backwards. Steam bringing everything up to system temp can hammer if piping or air bleeds aren't working properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks