Water hammer after servicing a pressure balancing single handle shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

DBragg5

Reaction score
Hi,

I was having low flow on a shower in my house and had the plumbing company I have used for a long time come fix it. The plumber came out and removed the trim. The valve had integral stops (little screw-type devices) so he turned the water off using those. He then examined the valve cartridge. He didn't see anything wrong so he put everything back together and turned the water back on. The flow was back to normal.

After the work was done and he left, I noticed that there was water hammer whenever any faucet or toilet turned on or off. The plumbing company came out this morning and told me that the water hammer was originating from the pressure balancing mechanism in the valve. He told me that he could try to add some "shock absorber" units on each line in the attic but there was no guarantee that would fix the problem. Before the work to fix the low pressure, I had not had any water hammer for the 17 months I have lived in the house. I don't mind adding the shock absorber units if it would fix the problem but it might not. I would like to see if someone has some other ideas to try. From the paperwork I have, the valve was installed in 5/2013 so it's not that old. By the way, the plumber doesn't know what brand this unit is and there are not indications on the interior assembly. Thanks for your help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF the ''hammer" is caused by the balancing spool activating when there is a pressure imbalance, the arrestors will NOT do anything to stop it. You probably need a new cartridge in the valve. How about a picture? We MIGHT be able to identify it with that.

DBragg5

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures

Attachments

• PICT1928.JPG
    PICT1928.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 283
  • PICT1923.JPG
    PICT1923.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 284
  • PICT1892.jpg
    PICT1892.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 281
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks