Water flowing through tankless heater at beginning and end of cold water draws

Users who are viewing this thread

davida

Reaction score
I installed a rheem gas condensing tankless water heater yesterday, and it seems to be providing hot water just fine. My problem is that for about a second when you first open a cold water tap in the tub (or when the clothes washer begins to cold water, or a toilet begins to refill, but not with low-flow fixtures like kitchen/bath faucets), a bit of water seems to be flowing through the heater, causing the fan to come on. It does the same thing for a second or so when you turn the cold water tap off. It doesn't happen throughout the cold water use, just at the very beginning and end. Someone suggested installing a check valve at the WH inlet, so I did that and it seems to have solved half the problem--now the fan does not come on at the beginning of a large cold water draw, but still does at the end. The WH and attached pipes also jerk a bit when the cold water is turned off. I don't think I have a hot/cold crossover problem, because when I turn off the shut-off valve on the WH supply line and turn on a hot water faucet somewhere in the house, the flow comes to a stop fairly quickly. The house has mostly pex pluming, if that's significant. Thanks for any advice you can offer. Feel free to ask questions if you need more info.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
What model is it ?

Some of them measure water Pressure, not just flow.

My guess is the pressure change/drop is what is causing it.

Do you have a expansion tank ? What is your water pressure ?

Good Luck.

davida

Reaction score
What model is it ?

Some of them measure water Pressure, not just flow.

My guess is the pressure change/drop is what is causing it.

Do you have a expansion tank ? What is your water pressure ?

Good Luck.

Thanks for your response. It's a Rheem RTGH-84DVLN. I don't have an expansion tank. I'm not sure what the water pressure is, but we're on the city water supply.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks