Water flow stops during recovery

Users who are viewing this thread

Starfulknight

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Long time lurker. I have a 36 year old cabin, and replaced the original shallow well system this year. I hand pounded a 2" pipe down to 18 ft, getting water at 13 feet. The casing must have had an air leak, so I plumbed in a 1.25" pvc pipe down, about a foot off the bottom of the well point. It works well for continous flow, there is as much water as I need when it runs.

The issue I'm having, is that the water flow drops down to a drip for about 15-20 seconds after the tank depletes, before picking up again. Once it picks up, it spurts air for a second, then its all good.

Why is this water flow gap occurring? Why am I getting an air spurt?

Attached is a picture of the system.

Attachments

• received_1216324568491362.jpeg
    received_1216324568491362.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 171

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Let some air out of the bladder/diaphragm tank or raise the cut-in. The precharge should be 5 PSI less than the cut-in. Make sure your air gauge is calibrated to the water gauge.

Reach4

Reaction score
The issue I'm having, is that the water flow drops down to a drip for about 15-20 seconds after the tank depletes, before picking up again. Once it picks up, it spurts air for a second, then its all good.
Your pressure switch is set to 30/50?
So the pump runs to cutoff pressure (maybe 50 psi). You use water, and after you have gone through 7 or 8 gallons, the pressure has fallen to 28, and then the pressure drops to zero. The question is,
  • is the pump running during that zero pressure time and "picking up again" refers to the pressure? If that, then you would have lost prime and you have a vacuum/air leak at or after the check valve. That would explain the air in the water. In that case, use the search box above, and search for
    img_shaving2.png
    using the search box above for a technique for finding leaks.
  • Or does it mean that the pump has not started? If that, then there is probably a clog in the line that connects to the pressure switch, or the pressure switch is gunked up.

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Jet pumps use pressure to make more pressure so letting the tank get completely empty will result in the lag you describe. That is the reason they should be set 5 PSI rather than the 2 PSI that submersibles should be set to. Having the 5 PSI in reserve gives the pump the needed time to avoid the lag.

Also, most folk assume their air gauge reads the same as their water gauge which they often don't.

As for the air in the line, probably a small leak as Reach4 suggests but it might have little to do with the lag.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Jet pumps do use some of their flow to increase the pressure through the jet nozzle. However, if the water is there the pump should not delay pumping the water. With a check valve at the top of the well like that you are probably losing prime below the check from an air leak. The pump is having to re-prime every time it comes on, which causes the delay and air in the lines. Fix the suction leak and the pump will work instantly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks