Water flow sensor

Users who are viewing this thread

6t7gto

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
I own a self-serve car wash with 3 commercial stores attached to the building.
My water meter is in my equipment room and feeds all my car wash pumps.
The water line then splits off and feeds the 3 stores. I pay the water/sewer charges for the stores.
Last month's water bill was 95.00. This month was 250.00.
One of the stores told me of a flapper problem on their toilet and I repaired it.
I want to install a water sensor connected to a warning light in my equipment room to the 1" line feeding the stores. I have CCTV and can view it from anywhere. When the stores are closed I will be able to call in to my CCTV and monitor the warning light for water usage. ie. leaking toilet or faucet.
Any thoughts on what kind of sensor I could install?
Thx
David

Reach4

Reaction score
Point a camera at the water meter? If you have one on your meter, concentrate on the flow indicator.
meter_read.gif

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, you can buy water meters and install them on your tenants' branches. I do not know if you can buy the remote readouts some utilities are using.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I got some of those YI Dome cameras (50 bucks). I set one up to monitor my well pump. I set it up where I can turn it to look at the flow meter, the pressure gauge, and even the amps on the Cycle Sensor. If I had it to do over again I would put the flow meter, pressure gauge, and Cycle Sensor closer together so I could see them all at the same time. But it is easy to turn the camera to look at them where they are, so I am not moving anything.

6t7gto

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
So I understand, as a toilet flapper leaks and the tank refills the switch I linked above will not detect that?
Thx
david

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is almost impossible to set a flow switch to know the difference between no flow and a small leak. They can detect large flow rates, but not dependable detecting small leaks.

Reach4

Reaction score
So I understand, as a toilet flapper leaks and the tank refills the switch I linked above will not detect that?
Thx
david
I thought they were clear, but for further confirmation, click on the link you posted, and select "Product Overview". On the second page of that PDF, see the "Flow Rates" table.

6t7gto

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Update: I installed an IFM magnetic sensor. Set it for minimum flow and within 10 minutes determined one of the front stores had a leaking flapper. The chain was too long and would get caught under the flapper.
Sensor works great.
Thx for the replies.
David

P.S. This is the sensor I used....the clamp on style
http://www.keyence.com/products/process/flow/index.jsp

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks