Water Flow by the Well cover

Users who are viewing this thread

cajunsally

Reaction score
I have a deep well with a jet pump. Recently there has been a slow steady trickle of water coming from where the well cap is. What could be the cause of this problem?

Lately, when the power for my street has gone out I find that I lose my prime and have to restore pressure and water to my pump before it will continue to work.

Is there a reason for losing the prime other than using the water while the power is out?

The pump pressure gauge is 40-60 right now.

any suggestions?

cajunsally

Reaction score
Does this mean digging up the ground?

This could be problamatic. LOL

Question: I have good pressure and flow. I have a deep well jet pump. Could the pipe that shoots water down the well to force the water up have a crack in it. Would this cause water to flow out?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you losing pressure when the pump is off and there is no water demand? That would indicate a leak in the system. It could also cause loss of prime when power is off.

The drive water is usually the casing. See diagram at this link. http://www.peekspump.com/ejectors.html

If the casing is leaking near the top of the well, then it could be leaking to the ground. When the power is off it might be possible to leak air into the system.

You could test for a large leak by shutting off all water usage in the house and watching the gauge to see if you lose pressure.

You might test for a small leak if you can shut off a valve between the pump and the tank and see if a gauge on the pump side of that valve holds pressure. That gauge should drop quickly if you have a leak on the pump side of the tank.

cajunsally

Reaction score
Well I suppose I do have a leak, I have noticed that the pump goes on without any water usage on a regular basis. Also what I thought was ground seepage, is not. There has been no rain for an extended period of time and the leak by the well is increasing.

I plan on digging up the area, when I get to the well casing what should I expect? Can the casing be replaced?

is it possible it is just the pipe is cracked?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Since you said you have a well cap. I am wondering if you have a pitless adaptor or if your not in an area where it freezes, you may just have a well seal. Do you see any pipes exiting this cap or do you just see a big pipe with a cap on top?

bob...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it is a 4" well you might want to replace the pump with a submersible. You would have a lot less grief in your life.

It is even possible, but more expensive, to get a 3" pump that would do what your deep well jet will do.

cajunsally

Reaction score
ok, I'm digging. the cap I am refering to is a pipe, steel i think because it is rusted, six and half inches in diameter and sticks above the ground about three feet.

It is about two feet behind a stone wall, which i am dismantling, which is about two feet high.

So far I dug eleven inches down and have hit a cap? I don't know yet.

When I turn the pump off by the circuit breaker it seems to hold the pressure.
If I turn off the supply from the pump to the house, it just sinks to zero.
What does this mean?

How long would it be safe to let this happen?
It is 4:26 pm and I need to work tomorrow.

cajunsally

Reaction score
I live in Connecticut, it is 67 degrees out now but will probably be below freezing tonight, lol.

I haven't found the pipes yet, still digging. Took out two holly bushes though.

And I am pretty certain it is a deep well. 80 to 200 feet?

cajunsally

Reaction score
I dug out a fair amount, haven't unearthed the cap yet, but I have two holes filled with water.

I will continue when I get off work today, but it is supposed to rain tomorrow.

Still digging

Speedbump

Reaction score
Filling with water can be a major problem.

Your not looking for a cap, your looking for a pipe coming out the side of the big pipe you see coming out of the ground. It should be between 3 - 6 feet down.

Good luck.

bob...

cajunsally

Reaction score
Could the cause of the flow be caused by a bad check valve?

How would I check this?

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you mean the leak you see, no. The check valve only stops the water from going back into the well after the pump turns off.

bob...

cajunsally

Reaction score
Striking Gold

OK, I dug down about 3- 4 feet. Found the two pipes coming out of the stack. The top pipe had a plastic fitting with a tiny crack in it causing the leak. I replaced it, but I can't get the pressure to come up now with the pump.

I thought I primed it properly. I tried to bleed all the air out through the valve on top. And I tried to adjust the cut-in cut-out pressures.

Is there any thing else I can do.

And thanks for all your input. I really, really appreciate it.

Cajunsally

Speedbump

Reaction score
You can attach a hose from your neighbors to your outside faucet. You will need a double female fitting to make this work. A washing machine hose works also.

Turn on both faucets and leave the prime plug loose to let the air bubbles out. When all you have leaking out is water, turn on the pump. It should go.

bob...

cajunsally

Reaction score
OK, Can you tell me where the prime plug is.

I have a Goulds j7 pump

deep well, two pipes,1 1/4" on top and 1 " on bottom.

I see two hex nuts in back. one near top center.

The other bottom left, and a little bigger.

I am going to try the one near the top, since this is where I want the air out.

Wish me luck... thanks again

Speedbump

Reaction score
I am not real familiar with Goulds model numbers. Most pumps either have a prime plug of 3/4" or 1" on top of the pump or the installer is expected to put a priming tee in the only outlet to make priming possible.

I have seen many DIY installations that I have no idea how they primed the pump, since they used an elbow instead of a tee with a plug in the top.

The important thing is, to get the pump full of water. Then it should prime.

bob...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Goulds J7 has a 1" outlet on the top. You need that tee with a plug in the top that should have been installed with the pump.

cajunsally

Reaction score
Well , I went to Lowes and got the tee valve and adapter to prime. Instead I rear ended someone in the parking lot. My day went from bad to worse. There was plenty of water, so I called the well guys. They pulled up the well and there was a tiny screw head stuck in the venturi of the foot valve. All is well now. I have water ,,,, Thanks for all the input. I learned a lot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks