Water flooding around well casing and low pressure in house.

Users who are viewing this thread

tulegiy

Reaction score
We have had very low pressure in the last day or so. Its not even enough to reach the faucets and there is a pool outside around the well and runs like a river.

I took the cap off and the motor is humming just fine and there is no water movement that I can see with a flashlight. Just a lot of water coming from the outside of the casing.

Is this more than likely the pitless adapter having a huge leak on the outside of it? since the inside is fine and no water leaking the o-ring seems fine. Not sure exactly how its connected on the outside of the casing though. could that be where its leaking? We did notice when changing the filter it instantly soils up and looks like it need changed again right after putting one in. We just though we were going to need a new pump soon so took it as rust. Its 8yrs old if that matters

This is my first post on here so im not sure what all is needed by way of information to help me. I think I pretty much covered it. if anyone needs more just let me know. I will be checking this all day since the wife is on my rear end to get this taken care of. lol.

Thanks for any information on this. I thought I was going to have to change the pump but when I went to see which pitless I had in case I need to go get some pipe to pull it I saw the water flooding throughout the yard. Its off at this time.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The underground pipe will just be screwed into the pitless. Usually a PVC male adapter is screwed into the pitless. And when the dirt in the ditch settles it breaks the male adapter. Nothing you can't fix yourself. Just digging in the mud is the hard part.

tulegiy

Reaction score
just for curiosity, what do you think the problem is. The run is just in sand basically since that is what was filled around it when installed. Its only about 30ft or so to the house and no driveway or tree roots around. You think it might just be a crappy connection at the pitless or something? we have very hard water too.

Just wondering what you thought before I go digging.

also, if I ever need to pull the pump, there is a white PVC pipe connected to the pitless that comes up to the cap, its that just something to hold onto? I would think I need to unscrew that and use the "T" pipe to pull it out. Is there any reason for that useless pc of PVC other that just to grab it? I guess they might have just used that when installing it and left it there. Just wondering if there was real reason its there at all.

THanks for the reply. That is much better news after seeing the flooded yard than what I thought it was. Didnt see the yard last night in the dark.

tulegiy

Reaction score
I dont know why I asked that question again. I see you answered it already with the dirt settling and breaking the connection sometimes. Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If that PVC pipe is sticking up from the middle of the pitless, it is probably the kind of pitless that needs to be unlocked. There is a rod with a nickel shaped device on the end, that you stick down the middle and turn to unlock the pitless.

tulegiy

Reaction score
Well luckily I didnt have to mess with that then. Thanks for the info.

I just now turned the water on and wanted to flush out the nasty water before chlorinating the well.

Do you suggest that I do any special precautions prior or while?

I turned the power to the pump on and the pressure swith climbed to about 60 before I just cut the power and came back to ask about it.

I remember messing with the air in the tank a bit when we started losing pressure and cant remember if I pumped it up a bit or not. What pressure should be in it and what should the gauge read at the bottom of the tank for PSI?

Thanks again .

tulegiy

Reaction score
Thought I posted the outcome as well but dont see it.

I dug it up and the pvc fitting was snapped off in the pitless connection. I got the small pc out and put a new one in. I couldnt move the pipe to put in a simple union so I had to use a thick rubber Boot fitting at that connection. The gap is about 1/4" or less on the pipes so it should allow for some movement so this doesnt happen again.

Should I put a 3rd clamp in the center of it or will there be enough pressure to bloat that up a little in the future? Its pretty thick. Figured a 3rd clamp just snug in the center wouldnt hurt

tulegiy

Reaction score
I read the sticky post on the adjustment and filling the tank. Didnt see that posting until I already typed my post. Excellent read by the way. I found that my switch was 40-60. Filled the tank to about 30-35psi. everything works perfect.

EXCEPT.........

Learned real fast that the Rubber boot was a no-no. I will have to run additional clamps around the boot to cover the whole thing. I looked into the pit and the connection was about 6" under water. Laid down on my stomach and felt around and that super thick boot clamp was about 4-5" around and like a huge grapefruit. Its leaking out of the clam and filling the pit slowly. I relieved the pressure with a faucet and turned the breaker off until I can get back out there. Was waiting a bit so I dint have to do it under water. lol

I guess I had to learn somethings on my own, right??. I sure am glad I left the pit open in case there was any other problems. lol

Thanks guys.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks