Water filter throwing off water hardness test?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pushc5

Reaction score
Got it all hooked up (thanks everyone!) and did a test with everything in bypass and got a reading of 15 gpg. I then started my 5600sxt carbon pre-filter with catalytic carbon. Let it run till clear, then a little longer. Ran another hardness test for giggles, the water went to blue nearly immediately (like 1 drop to solid blue). Now the water doesn't have that "greasy" feeling so I know it can't be that soft, is there something in the carbon pre-filter that needs to "flush out" for lack of a better term that may be causing false numbers with the hach 5b kit?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
You need to let the carbon soak for a couple days then flush it properly. I recommend no less than 4 or 5 full cleaning cycles.

Pushc5

Reaction score
You need to let the carbon soak for a couple days then flush it properly. I recommend no less than 4 or 5 full cleaning cycles.
Should I keep my softener bypassed, bypass the carbon now that the tank is completely full, or just let them both ride and program my softener with my pre-filter gpg?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
If these are new installations, regen the softener twice, the carbon tank should be run through multiple cleaning cycles, then ignore and enjoy.

Pushc5

Reaction score
If these are new installations, regen the softener twice, the carbon tank should be run through multiple cleaning cycles, then ignore and enjoy.
So run 2 "extra cycles" on the softener and 2 or 3 "extra cycles?"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks