Water Filter Stupid red button

Users who are viewing this thread

Baw335

Reaction score
So our water softener hasn't been working now for some time so I decided to upgrade it to a new one. While I was messing with the pipes, I installed a GE water filter on the main line. I purchased one that had a spiffy red button to release the pressure thinking that it would save me some time in the future running and opening a faucet to change a filter. Was I ever wrong and didn't do my research, on the first filter change I hit the red button, replaced the filter and screwed everything back together. Upon turning the valve to engage the filter, water came pouring out the red button. After about a dozen times of disassembly, reassembly and messing with the button I about threw in the towel on removing it and going to purchase a new one without a button. Instead, I picked up a rubber stopper and a little plumbing grease and shoved it into the red button port on the underside of the housing. No leaks! Anyone see any potential issue with this? At first it didn't look like water completely filled the filter housing but all looks good now that I opened a few faucets. No loss of pressure anywhere in the house.

Last edited:

Baw335

Reaction score
Here's a photo of the red button on this model

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,559

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you trust this rubber plug?
Since your water is under pressure, who know how long this plug will sit there. A better idea is to replace the filter housing to one without the red button.
I have never liked these red buttons, and always bought buttonless filter housings.

Baw335

Reaction score
The plug is on the inside of the housing with the pressure pushing it into the hole. I'm with you on the red buttonless housing; I will definitely purchase those from now on and install one if this one gives me any more trouble.

Sounds good about clearing it out; I'll try that a few times next time I change the filter. Thanks for the tips!

LQB

Reaction score
Is it possible to reassemble the stupid red button after it has been removed?

Brunswickflyer

Reaction score
So our water softener hasn't been working now for some time so I decided to upgrade it to a new one. While I was messing with the pipes, I installed a GE water filter on the main line. I purchased one that had a spiffy red button to release the pressure thinking that it would save me some time in the future running and opening a faucet to change a filter. Was I ever wrong and didn't do my research, on the first filter change I hit the red button, replaced the filter and screwed everything back together. Upon turning the valve to engage the filter, water came pouring out the red button. After about a dozen times of disassembly, reassembly and messing with the button I about threw in the towel on removing it and going to purchase a new one without a button. Instead, I picked up a rubber stopper and a little plumbing grease and shoved it into the red button port on the underside of the housing. No leaks! Anyone see any potential issue with this? At first it didn't look like water completely filled the filter housing but all looks good now that I opened a few faucets. No loss of pressure anywhere in the house.

Brunswickflyer

Reaction score
Terrible design. When my third filter button popped off, I put a screw in the hole. Now, I turn off the inlet, let the sink run until it stops. then I unscrew the clear filter container.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks