Water dripping from access panel

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
Update

Went downstairs to the basement and checked on that stack there. It is bone dry. As hard as it has been raining that would be wet, and under the shower. Do I take down the access panel at 3 am? It is like opening Pandora's box. Or do I wait until the sun is up, the coffee is made and then, deal with it. I figure it is not going anywhere, eh?

Could the roofer putting that thing on the stack on the roof maybe in someway deflected the water to this level?

While I was in the closet, shining the light above me, I wondered if we even need the bath up there, just imagine what a great library that would make with stacks. :)

Maybe what I should do, is take this closet and convert it to a bathroom. The bathroom upstairs to a small den with stacks, the kitchen which I oh so hate, into an indoor swimming pool. That would be the perfect house for me.

Cookie

Cookie

Reaction score
I took the access panel out, and it looks like the toilet is leaking. The wax ring is wet, I can see some of it, and the pipe under it is wet. The Luan board though that the knumbskull laid down looks dry, at least the underneath part of it. Can it be leaking just from the wax ring seal? It is actaully dripping on the floor now. Calling back the plumber.

Cookie

Reaction score
Alright I feel like I am talking to myself here. The plumber came and went. It did not go well. This is a plumbing company who worked on it the last time. Not my friend. Well, he said, the leaking is coming from the big pipe that connects onto your flange, which connects into the stack.

Well, I asked, ' how much?" Not cheap.

Walls got to come out, floor got to come up, new flange, the second one thus far, toilet up. Toilet down.

So, I had it. I told him to take up the toilet throw it out the bloody window, I don't care.

Instead he took it up, put some wax down in the big pipe, he said, incase their was a small hole or crack it might seal it. Is this correct?

He put the toilet back down. Being I paid 600 for this service earlier, it was warranted for 90 days. Double waxed ringed it.

The closet is standing open now. Coats everywhere.

I now agreed to work on an article about my woes with this bathroom. Infact, I think I will take a delight in it.

I paid for 2 floors, floor still not exactly right, 2 flanges, 8 times the toilet was sat down & picked up, and paid for 2 access panels. Only got one of course.

What are the chances that this cast iron pipe could be leaking?

Plus, I spoke with someone who said that cast iron flanges should not be secured down. Who agrees with this, and why or why not? Mine is secured to a 1/4 Luan board.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
The leak

From your past posts, I'd say, slim to none.

Apparently he didn't find a hole in the cast iron, so maybe it's just talk.

You have had that toilet reset and you had no leak for a month or more?

Without seeing any of the conditions, there may be something else to consider but don't know what to think.

Cast iron is heavy and the flange doesn't need to be screwed to the floor, but if it is it can't hurt anything either.

Cookie

Reaction score
Yeah Plumber 1, my guts instincts says the same thing. Usually, they are right. Why he would say the cast iron pipe that connects to the flange has got a hole or crack in it, I don't know. But, I actually stood on the part of the ladder where you put a paint can, lol, and, I swear that water was coming out near the flange. Not that pipe. I swear if I live to be 100 I won't understand anything, lol.

Talk about frustration. That toilet was set, last time, on December 1st.

I tried to explain this all to someone and I sounded incoherent. :rolleyes:

I can't remember being this flustered. Thank you Plumber 1. Much appreciation your opinion.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
After thinking about this the reason for all the problems isn't bad luck or a dark cloud following you it is just that things werent done right the first time and all attempts to correct it didn't address the initial problem, which was an incompetent plumber.

Cookie

Reaction score
Yep yep yep. Now, what do I do? I figure, it is reset again, wax is in the big pipe ( was told this will seal a hole or crack for possible years) so, I am just going to watch & wait for now. Maybe, come spring rethink it. What do you think Cass? That was me early this morning, needed a second opinion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks