Water damage

Users who are viewing this thread

water_damage

Reaction score
Hi,

New member here, thanks in advance.

A week ago, toilet in our master bathroom had a leak in the inlet supply line. We discovered the leak after several hours - and fortunately there was not much water in and around the toilet. We replaced the inlet line pipe, and everything was fine.

Now for the last seven days, the guest bedroom which shares the common wall with our master bathroom (right behind the toilet), has sewage like damp odor.

The foul odor is more prominent during day time, and when room\central heaters are used.

On closer inspection earlier today, we found wet patch on a small area of carpet in the bedroom.

My question is - should i just wait out, and hope the water would dry out and odor would be gone, or is this a serious problem (possibility of ongoing leak - internal pipes, hard to see, and I should call somebody to check out.

Reach4

Reaction score
Blow a fan at the wet area. Does the wet area smell, or is the smell just in the air?

Inspect to see if you can see a leak path. Look in the cabinet under the lavatories.

Put the shower curtain in better during showers? Put an extra towel on the floor of the bathroom to catch splashes.

Flush the toilet and run water into the lavatory every couple of weeks in the guest bathroom to keep the traps full.

I am not a pro.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The water may have ran under the interior wall. I would pull the carpet back and get some air circulating to dry everything out. It might take days if there is water under tile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks