Water Damage in wall behind bathtub/shower in Master Bath

Users who are viewing this thread

Jon Rowe

Reaction score
Everyone,

I'm obviously new here. :) My wife cleaned out her closet today for us to paint her bathroom / walk in closet, and we noticed water damage. See pics below... the one alarming photo is the floor down at the corner of the baseboards, which is directly behind the shower/bath. There's literally a hole in the floor. Our house sits on a concrete slab, and there's no concrete below that. I can put my fingers in and there's mush, and it seems like it's completely hollow below/around. That may be from where the tub (on the other side of the wall) was installed, but I would think there would be a concrete slab there...?

Anyway, i'm looking for suggestions. A little history, right above this area is my air conditioner unit, where a drainpan emptied in to the ceiling a long while back. The AC people came out, repaired the issue, and it's not done that again since then. In the really hot times of the summer, it does condense some, but hasn't lately. This has only become this bad very recently. I can't help but think it's something to do with the tub/shower.

I've called the plumber we use and he cannot come out until Tuesday.

My question to you all, what can we do to cover that hole?
Suggestions?

Thanks so much, i'm open to any suggestions or ideas as to what has haappened here. We're obviously afraid this will take thousands to fix...can someone ease our worry?

closet01.jpg

closet02.jpg

closet03.jpg

closet04.jpg

closet05.jpg

Thank you

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It is not uncommon to have a moderately sized hole in the concrete around the tub drain. This allows some flexibility to adjust the trap so that it lines up with whatever tub you end up installing. But, correctly installed, neither the tub nor the walls nor the a/c drain should be leaking and making things mush there. Determining where the leak is, is critical. From the stains on the wall, it appears to be coming from above.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks