Water Connection line to fridge

Users who are viewing this thread

Coopns

Reaction score
I have a water dispenser on the fridge, hooked it up from the basement with a copper line tapped in then connected up to fridge, about a 15 foot run. The water runs slow even soon after a new filter. I have taken off the line on the fridge and basement and blow down and it seems to clear it for awhile. The filters are expensive, any other options for me?

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
By "tapped in" do you mean you used one of those pipe-piercing saddle valves? If so, replace the saddle valve with a tee fitting and a real valve and you'll probably solve the slow flow problem.

Coopns

Reaction score
tfitting.jpg

That's it, it was like a self tapping screw valve. So what would I replace it with? Can you give me specific names or links to pics?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You realize that it's illegal in MA to do plumbing unless you have a license? even in your own home?

First, you need a T installed in the line, then off of the T, you'd put a valve with the proper sized output for your supply line. It would probably be done for the minimum charge for any competant plumber, especially if you could drain the line before he got there (it must be dry to be able to solder in any connections).

Once you screwed the piercing stub into the pipe, did you back it out again? This type of connection almost always ends up leaking after awhile, so it is not a good idea to leave it in place.

Coopns

Reaction score
Great, I think I got a pic. .

tfitting.jpg

It is illegal to go over 55 on some highways too. I must be the only one doing 65. I do more DIY projects, I take a crack at everything. Come on now.

Thanks for the help though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The set up you picture should be fine. I soldered a tee in my main line, then went into a 1/2" ball valve. From there I used fittings and adapters to reduce and adapt to the 1/4 copper line. I just like the 1/4 turn shut off feature of the ball valve, but you have done essentially the same thing.

Coopns

Reaction score
Still picking away at this. I was thinking about an inline water filter that was less expensive to get some of the sediment first. Saw one here. There is a quick connect I think where they cut the lines and insert into the filter. I don't want to do that. I think there is another type that I can screw on and tighten the nut, but what is the name of that or is there such a thing?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
One of the issues with Saddle Valves, is that they plug too easily.

Your picture above with an angle stop to 1/2" copper with a compression stop to 1/4" OD tubing is the best.

If your water lines are old with crud, then the filters will need to be changed was they fail over time. The new shutoff should be good for years though.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks