Water Capacity, Salt Settings, and cubic ft???

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, Questions and Answers' started by JustaRookie, Feb 19, 2018.

1. JustaRookie

JustaRookie New Member

Hello, New to the forum and have become quite interested in my home water softener. I for the life of me after tons of reading cannot figure out the math behind Salt LBs and Capacity Settings vs Cubic ft of resin. Can someone help?

Unit: Charger Clack WS1 1'' 40k image attached of features (1.25 cuft resin?)

water softener.JPG

My math: 3 Person home, 2.5 bath, Estimated 5000-5500 gallons per month / 30 = 183 gallons a day X 17 grains hardness = 3136... How do i determine the appropriate salt and capacity setting from this?

The unit settings: BACKWASH: 8 MIN
    BRINE: DOWN, 60 MIN
    BACKWASH: 8 MIN
    RINSE: 4 MIN
    FILL: 8 LBS
    CAPACITY: 25 X 1000 = 25000
    VOLUME CAPACITY: AUTO
    REGEN TIME: NORMAL PRESET TIME
    RELAY OPERATION: OFF
    HARDNESS: 17
    DAY OVERRIDE: 14

Im not sure if any other info is needed or if this unit is set properly. The MATH is really bothering me. I have read that it takes 15 lbs of salt to regenerate 30,0000 capacity per cubic ft. But where do those numbers come from? Im completely confused. This unit is set at 8lbs for 25,0000 is that even correct if this unit is indeed a 40,000 1.25 cu ft?

Thanks to all who can help!

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

1 cuft of resin.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Water systems designer, R&D, Technical Director
  5. JustaRookie

JustaRookie New Member

Reach4 are you confirming that I DO NOT have a 1.25 cuft 40,000 grain capacity system? I have always wondered this considering the tank size. Is there such a thing as a 1 cuft 40,000 with a 9x48? I feel I have been deceived on the purchase of this unit. Do I really have a 32,000 unit?

Dittohead thanks for the article, I was just more curious of the math behind it.

I have been doing a lot of reading on these forums and its an overwhelming amount of information. As far as the settings go do either of you have any advice or recommendations? I keep reading on here from numerous posts that their are sales/tech people that know nothing of setting these units up doing just that. My backwash, brine, and rinse cycle times seem pretty standard.

Thanks

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

It could have 1.25 if it has a turbulator. That can allow putting more resin into a given size tank.