Water bill increase

How do i find out if my toilet is the reason for my water bill nearly doubling the last 2 months ?

• Professional answers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anyone that has this problem

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike9672

Reaction score
I am having an issue with my water bill being nearly double the amount for the last 2 months of what it usually is. I constantly hear water running in toilet but not consistent and only well past the completion of a flush. I don't see any water going into bowl. But yet i have water coming out of the refill tube into the overflow pipe. I tried adjusting the water level adjustment rod but then the water still rises and goes into the overflow pipe.

Reach4

Reaction score
Turn off the stop valve at the wall, and let the toilet sit unused. How far does the water drop. If it continues down to say 2 inches or more below the overflow tube, you probably have a flush valve problem. The first step is to wipe the valve seat of debris, and if the problem continues, next replace the flapper.

If the fall stops before 2 inches down,
  1. The refill tube output should be elevated above the overflow tube input level by a clip. Do not run the refill tube down the overflow tube.
  2. The fill valve should not fill more than to about 1/2 inch below the overflow tube input level.

If you still get a problem after checking those things, replace the seal on your fill valve. If your fill valve does not have that, replace the fill valve.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
since our meters are out at the curb . cap off toilet (if you don't choose to fix) and look at meter with everything else off if meter spins you got a leak , possibly underground between meter and house or irrigation. many variations on this because homes are built different millions have meter near the street and I know many millions have basements with meters even though I don't think I've seen one around here in all my years
but time to get after it its pretty basic

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks