Water between tub surround and canopy

Users who are viewing this thread

Mocha

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I just purchased a Mirolin Victoria bathtub with surround and canopy. This evening as I was installing a handicap gard on the wall, I noticed that water drops were seeping through the top part of the surround where the canopy attaches on top of it. Since water doesn't rise, I'm wondering why there would be water there in the first place. A retired plumber installed it and said there was no need for silicone on the backside as requested in the installation guide. Let's just say I won't be hiring him anymore. Last night I added silicone to the front part under each edge. This evening, I removed the silicone as much as I could to let those little water drops come out.

Why would there be water drops in the first place and how would they get up there? Help please and thank you. I couldn't add the photo of the tub so I put it as my avatar so you could see it. :)

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Not familiar with your unit. Sorry.

Water has a funny way of finding any opening and then migrating where it wants.

VictoriaRight_Hand_4.jpg

Perhaps the water is steam vapour condensing....

Is the top cap connected roughly 14" down from the ceiling? How is that joint sealed?

Mocha

Reaction score
Not familiar with your unit. Sorry.

Water has a funny way of finding any opening and then migrating where it wants.

VictoriaRight_Hand_4.jpg

Perhaps the water is steam vapour condensing....

Is the top cap connected roughly 14" down from the ceiling? How is that joint sealed?

Thank you for your reply. I would say there is at least a foot from the ceiling and it is covered in drywall. There is the habitual 2 x 4 structure around the surround. I went to the basement and there doesn't seem to be any water coming down the pipes at all so maybe it is condensation. I mistakenly put caulking around the edges because the plumber had not put caulking where suggested behind the tub. I am removing it as I go along. I noticed that to the right of the shower head, about where the canopy joint meets the surround, that there is a drop of water that drips at a regular pace but when I turn off the shower, it stops shortly afterward. I thought the shower pipe might have been leaking but after going in the basement, no water was leaking at all. I'll read up more on condensation and perhaps it will clear up things better for me. Thank you for replying. :)

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Any way you can do a baby video and upload it too me? I think the boys here like me need better "EYES" on the job. I can not see it in my mind.

I got nothing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks