Waste stack in garage

Users who are viewing this thread

Phil P.

Reaction score
Hello plumbing pros :) I'm back with a bigger project and always appreciate your generous advice. First question is I'm adding a garage to my house with bedroom and bath above it. Most logical, simple way to route waste is down along inside garage wall and then connect to main drain. Garage is un-heated, with living space above. I'm in mild/moderate climate (Wash DC area) so not super cold, but want to know if this is bad idea having DWV piping in an unheated garage. I actually don't ever expect garage to freeze (insulated walls, etc) but code- or best practice-wise any issues? (all the actual drains, p-traps, etc will be in the insulated area between garage ceiling joists--just asking about main 3" waste stack). Thanks .. Phil

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
As long as you do not have a stoppage in an ingested space you should be all right

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Waste lines in an unheated garage should be fine. Water lines will need some care, sounds like you have that handled.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the line ends up in a position where it could be hit with your vehicle, you should install some protection for it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks