Washingmachine Install - Drain line

Users who are viewing this thread

nibeck

Reaction score
I'm installing a laundry room in our basement, and need to set up the drain for the washer. Fortunatelly, the new room backs up to the existing house plumbing. I just wanted to see how folks would recommend hooking up the drain.

Please see this link for photos/other info: Existing Plumbing

Existing plumbing

Thanks!

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
I can't tell the exact size of those lines, but I think that you're right with the determination of what each is (A, B, C and D).
The humidifier and the copper condensate lines are apparently draining into a trap vented by the smaller of the two vertical PVC pipes and draining into the drain line (with the clean-out plug on it) under the concrete.
I don't know if that condensate drain is large enough for a washing machine drain, but it may be.
Check with your Building Inspection Department for local code. A washing machine drain may locally require only a 1.5" drain, or more likely a 2" line.
If that pipe that the condensate lines are into is 1.5", you may be able to just plumb an open top washer standpipe above it to hook the washer drain hose into, and connect the two condensate lines to the standpipe.
If local code requires 2", you're going to have to plumb for that.
Good luck!
Mike

Last edited:

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

You cannot use B. Washer plumbing must be run in a certain specific way... you really can't just stick the washer drain hose into a condensate waste drain. The p-trap must be located 6-18" above the floor, have a standpipe 18-30" tall, be vented within 5' of the trap, be run in 2" (1-1/2 vent) . The vent will need to extend up and out the roof by itself or tie in with other vents 6" above the flood rim level of the highest fixture (UPC code).
D? Not sure. Is there other plumbing in the basement? Unless there is other plumbing in the basement and D is the vent for those fixtures, I would question whether it is a "main vent stack", although I don't know what it is. Vents generally do not originate quite like that. Is this a multi story home?
Deb
The Pipewench

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks