Washing Machine with Utility Sink - 1-1/2" Drain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Zhars

Reaction score
I have an existing 1 1/2" copper drain that was used for the original utility sink. The washing machine discharged to the sink. I have recently started renovating the basement and added insulation to the exterior wall and am now about to finish the studs and plumbing. I know that the washing machine standpipe should be minimum 2". However if I install a 2" standpipe w/p-trap, I will not able to reduce to 1 1/2" as I get to the original copper drain in the floor. Is it possible to start with a 2" standpipe and then reduce it to 1-1/2" before the p-trap. Or it makes absolutely no difference and I might as well just go 1-1/2" all the way?

Attached (Laundry Plumbing) is a the layout I was going to go with. Also attached (Insulated Wall) shows the 1-1/2" copper drain and next to it is the 3" drain that is from the 2nd floor.

Attachments

• Insulated Wall.jpg
    Insulated Wall.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,098
  • Laundry Plumbing.jpg
    Laundry Plumbing.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 3,445

Stuff

Reaction score
Not a plumber but codes that I see don't permit any fitting that would reduce a drain pipe size. A 1 1/2" standpipe may be allowed by your local code but if at all possible you should go to 2" and tap into the 3" drain on the right. I've seen a washing machine overload an incorrectly installed standpipe - make sure you have a good floor drain.

Also - Do you have a vent pipe to tie in to?

Zhars

Reaction score
Not a plumber but codes that I see don't permit any fitting that would reduce a drain pipe size. A 1 1/2" standpipe may be allowed by your local code but if at all possible you should go to 2" and tap into the 3" drain on the right. I've seen a washing machine overload an incorrectly installed standpipe - make sure you have a good floor drain.

Also - Do you have a vent pipe to tie in to?
Yes that's why I'm having this dilemma regarding the size reduction to 1 1/2". I suppose I could reduce it on the vertical standpipe section just before the p-trap just like Terry mentioned.

Regarding the 3" drain on the right. It is used by the 2nd floor bathroom so not sure if I'm allowed to tap into it. I would be adding the washing machine and utility sink to it.

Oh and I don't have a vent either! As there is no way Ill be going through 2 floors to the roof, I need to use an AAV which I heard does nothing for washing machines. At least it will help the utility sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks