Washing machine water fill shut off valve has green corrosion - how to clean and prevent

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I noticed the water fill valve for my washing machine has a green colored film on it. This is a copper fitting (like an exterior garden hose connection) located in a recessed cutout in the laundry room wall (an interior wall).
I think the corrosion is just due to condensation sitting on the water valve - only one of the two valves has this green color (I cant remember for sure, but i think its the cold water valve).

How can I clean this green stuff off the fitting, and what can I put on (spray on it?) it to keep the valve clean?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It may be worse from chlorine, assuming you use bleach, but it may be salt as well. IT's probably on the cold side as the hot one will tend to not get any condensation.

Some steel wool then some car wax might help slow the process down for the next time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks