Washing Machine Valve Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

3plusme

Reaction score
I have to replace my washing machine valves because they are leaking. Do these just need loosened with one wrench or am I supposed to grip onto another spot to make sure I don't twist the pipe? I'm new to plumbing, so any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_5100.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Those are compression stops, so you will need to "back it" with pliers or wrench when you unthread the back nut.
Sometimes you can install the new valve using the old nut, though being a plumber, I pull it off with the brass sleeve and install everything new.
I prefer the 1/4 turn shutoffs if you can get them.
Sometimes pliers used carefully can slide the sleeve off and sometimes you need a puller. Most hardware stores carry those now.

pasco-sleeve-puller-terrylove-01.jpg

index.php

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
One thing holding the body. Could be a pipe wrench or big locking pliers. Wrench on the nut. Possibly non-obvious: from your point of view, you will turn the nut clockwise to loosen. From the pipe's point of view, that would be CCW.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
In the picture it looks like there is a drip at the packing nut behind the handle. If that is the only problem then snugging that nut may well solve the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks