Washing Machine & Utility Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Bwh

Reaction score
Hey Guys - searched through a dozen threads to see if this was already covered, and couldn't find a dedicated answer.

I've got an old wetbar in the basement (with 2" standpipe), that I'm using for the utility tub drain (1 1/2 into 2"). The house is only 4 years old, so should be up the latest Ohio codes.

There is no vent above the floor. I believe that this is because it is only about 6' from the main vent stack (3" pipe, 4" at the floor). Further up the run, is the drain for the kitchen upstairs. I imagine this gets a vent somewhere upstairs closer to the p-trap. Perhaps it may also run as a wet vent right now for the utility tub?

dual sink - 1.JPG

Currently, the washing machine is draining into the utility tub with no issue, but I want to plumb it permanently into the supply box. I am stymied on what to do with the vent.

1a) should that come off the main vent stack (kind of don't want to cut into 3" pipe and then step down to 2").

1b) should it be a wet vent over from the upstairs sink?

2) since I'm venting the washing machine arm of the drain, I might as well vent the sink arm as well. Perhaps like this?

dual sink - 2.JPG

3) Screw it, drain into the utility tub.

Thanks for all the help and support!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The second drawing where it only shows the washer and the laundry tray is right, but then the vent goes into a stack, that if it's only venting, it would be fine.
A waste stack is only waste below a fixture that it serves. Normally a kitchen sink would be run with 2" and not 3".
On the West Coast, you wouldn't be venting a washer with a sink drain. I would love to hear from a Ohio plumber as to what he thinks is going on.

Reactions: Bwh

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
A couple of things I've learned from helping my sons in Ohio.

1. Some counties have not adopted the state code, so you are free to screw it up any way you want.

2. It is not unusual to find that they have used a drain line larger than normal (like that 3" on your sink) instead of venting. On one rental we found a 2" vent serving an entire house with a 6" sewer line.

Bwh

Reaction score
Thanks Terry!

So you're suggesting to tie into the main vent stack for both vents, and keep the horizontal >6" above the flood rim of the laundry.

I was hoping to use the 2" sink line from above - but that's a terrible after all idea . Didn't want to have to step from 3" vert down to the 1.5" horizontal unless we had to.

I know I'll use a combo (wye + 1/8th) on the washer side since it will be on it's back, do I need to worry about a sani-tee on it's... front? The one at the top of the vertical arm that is.

dual sink - 3.JPG

@Stormrider49 - must be an older house I'm assuming? Some of them, especially rural ones can be a bit more... creative. Fortunately, this house is 4 years old, in one of those pretty planned neighborhoods, and up to minimum code. I just wish I could see under the concrete to tell what they connected, and where.... and that they hadn't made the 1st floor laundry room the size peanut. Necessitates the move to the basement. At least we get a mud room out of the deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bwh

Reaction score
Hey y'all, sorry to bump an old(er) thread.

Just want to double check that I've got all my fittings oriented correctly. Anyone mind checking? Thanks!

sink.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks