Washing machine tie in

Users who are viewing this thread

Sp4z

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm trying to tie in a 2 inch drain to this setup shown. I do not have any room to add any more pipe to this set up.
1) Is there a 4 way tee that could replace the 3 way tee circled in green? Is there a 3x3x2x2 type tee?

Thank you

Attachments

• Pipe.jpg
    Pipe.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 201

Reach4

Reaction score
What are you connecting? The toilet, vent line, and what else?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That doesn't work. The toilet needs it's own vent before you can add a washer downstream of it. And then the washer also needs a vent for it's p-trap.

Sp4z

Reaction score
That doesn't work. The toilet needs it's own vent before you can add a washer downstream of it. And then the washer also needs a vent for it's p-trap.
could I add the washing machine drain pipe upstream of the toilet?

does every p trap in my house need its need its own vent? I have seen many diagrams where drains share a vent pipe? I have 4 sinks, 3 toilets, and 2 tubs all with p traps. does each one need its own vent. As of now several of them attach and share a vent.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The only fixtures that can be horizontally wet vented are bathroom groups on the same floor.

Washers, kitchen sink, laundry trays are not part of that.

Every fixture has a p-trap to prevent air from the sewer from entering your home. The toilet is a bowl filled with water, essentially it's own trap.
Think of smells entering your home at every location where the p-trap either hasn't been installed, or the trap has siphoned because there was no vent to break up the siphoning of the p-trap.

Sp4z

Reaction score
The only fixtures that can be horizontally wet vented are bathroom groups on the same floor.

Washers, kitchen sink, laundry trays are not part of that.

Every fixture has a p-trap to prevent air from the sewer from entering your home. The toilet is a bowl filled with water, essentially it's own trap.
Think of smells entering your home at every location where the p-trap either hasn't been installed, or the trap has siphoned because there was no vent to break up the siphoning of the p-trap.

Gothca! Makes sense, thanks for the info!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Vents can be combined (there are rules about how to do that) so that you may only need one eventual hole in the roof, but essentially with minor exceptions, each trap should be vented.

Sp4z

Reaction score
Vents can be combined (there are rules about how to do that) so that you may only need one eventual hole in the roof, but essentially with minor exceptions, each trap should be vented.

Thank you for the info. The washing machine and toilet are on opposite sides of the room. Was wondering if I could run the washing machine drain pipe to the right of the toilet and have a 2 inch air vent after the toilet (currently 1 1/4 air vent).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks