Washing machine supply line with new Bosch Dishwasher

Users who are viewing this thread

gdmsndmxr

Reaction score
Hi there,
We just got a new dishwasher from Bosch. Our old washer used what looks like a 3/4" to 3/4" elbow washing machine line. I have bought a new line to install with the dishwasher. Is it okay to use this line or should I remove and replace the old compression shut off valve with a new 1/2" to 3/8" valve so I can use a "proper" dishwasher supply line.
I've never removed an shut off valve but do have the new valve and copper pipe cutter. I have read that the copper needs to be deburred after cutting but would using sandpaper be ok? The space is quite tight and I'm unsure if a deburring tool will fit. See image.

bosch-shutoff.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20201218_145739125.jpg
    PXL_20201218_145739125.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can cut and install a new compression stop there. It's reduced down anyway at that point, any turbulence isn't going to be noticed.

gdmsndmxr

Reaction score
I've been reading that I should use Pipe Dope on the compression nut, or threads. Is this necessary? I was hoping not to need to head to the hardware store again. :)

Reach4

Reaction score
I've been reading that I should use Pipe Dope on the compression nut, or threads. Is this necessary?
Pipe dope or silicone grease lubricates so that you don't need as much torque. I suspect the dope might even have some sealing properties. It can be hard to get enough torque on compression fittings with short wrenches. Liquid ish detergent might serves as a substitute. Just run some water through it before drinking the water

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Copper to brass compression ring, compression nut and all brass stop valves do not need pipe dope or silicone. Usually it is not recommended. When the stop valve is chromed, the threads are sometimes rough and do not make for a snug fit. When you do use pipe dope on domestic water lines, only the smallest amount on the male thread so it does not contact the water. If you do see water after an assembly, it usually barely a drip. If you wait a day minerals in the water will seal it up. One trick on connecting a compression fitting, besure you keep constant pressure by pushing the copper pipe into the valve until the compression ring has started to compress. When you do enough of them you'll know when the ring starts to compress.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you do see water after an assembly, it usually barely a drip. If you wait a day minerals in the water will seal it up.
IMO, if you see water after assembly, give the nut another 1/8 turn if you can.

. One trick on connecting a compression fitting, besure you keep constant pressure by pushing the copper pipe into the valve until the compression ring has started to compress.
One thing that may go without saying, but I want to say it, is to use two wrenches. If the access is awkward, it can be hard to get enough torque.

When you do enough of them you'll know when the ring starts to compress.
Did you ever tighten the nut too tight, to where it caused a problem? When I put on a compression fitting that leaked, I had been worried about crushing the 3/8 OD copper pipe. I now think that should not have been a worry with my short wrenches. I took things apart, and checked pipe. No distortion. Redoing with new pipe, I put Rectorseal #5 on the olive/ferrule and on the threads. And applied more torque. Let it sit for a bit, and gave it another 1/16 or so turn. No leak. Just pipe dope, or just more torque might have each been sufficient, but I wanted both.

gdmsndmxr

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. I did not apply any pipe dope and did have a small leak at first. This was only after tightening just past 1/4 turn. So I figured it needed to be tighter. Off goes the water and I tightened it to almost a half turn from finger tight. No more leaks and valve works great.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks