Washing machine standpipe???

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
What is the correct height for a standpipe? Does this change for a top load to a side load machine?

I am looking at moving my washing machine to my basement, I currently have high efficiency top load unit, but when it goes out, I'll probably get a front load unit. What about sitting the front load unit on one of those pedestal stands, does that change anything?

My drain is 2" PVC, going to a sewage ejector pump and it will be vented.

I thought I posted this earlier, but can't find it, so if it is a duplicate, I appologize!

Thanks

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I'm not sure if your local codes, but IPC states:

802.4 Standpipes.
Standpipes shall be individually trapped. Standpipes shall extend a minimum of 18 inches (457 mm) and a maximum of 42 inches (1066 mm) above the trap weir. Access shall be provided to all standpipes and drains for rodding.

A traditional top loader as well as a modern front loader both sit on the ground no matter what, so there is no change in standpipe specs for either unit.
Apparently by IPC, raising your washing machine on a platform has no bearing on standpipe minimum height. However for my code, the standpipe must extend above the FLR and be a minimum of 24".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
standpipe

In most cases the standpipe has to be above the level of the water in the machine since most do not have a drain valve to prevent the water from going through the hose when the washer fills.

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
In most cases the standpipe has to be above the level of the water in the machine since most do not have a drain valve to prevent the water from going through the hose when the washer fills.

That's kind of what I thought, which is actually why I asked. I would think the front loader when installed on a pedestal would create the need for a higher standpipe.

Thanks for the replies.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks