Washing Machine Shutoff question

Users who are viewing this thread

Eman85

Reaction score
I'm replumbing the laundry room and need to buy some fittings before I start. I have an Oatey single lever washing machine valve in a box mounted in the wall. Currently has CPVC plumbed to it, will be replacing with PEX. I'm sure the valve has threads for the input side. Are these valves straight threads or tapered pipe? What fitting would be needed to connect the valve to PEX? I have to move the washer and pull the wall panel to get to the valve and I want to have materials on hand before I start.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Good question.
The threads on the washing machine valves are actually straight threads (non-tapered). That is how the 1/2" mounting nuts spin on so easily.
We normally buy WM box sets to accommodate the specific piping. Exp. PEX, or crimp pex, or copper sweat.
Have I seen boxes where they cram FIP adapters on: YES. Is it proper: Hell no. Will it leak: often.
your valve in question likely is designed for sweat copper and you could thoroughly clean the I.D. and sweat adapters on or update the valve.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
all the ones I saw were straight thread so Ive only used sweat but I assume you would need a adapter that had a female straight thread with a washer inside dont know if they make that in pex.? you could purchase new bibs with pex barbs or complete new box we are supposed to put hammer arestors on if you dont have them now

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is no way I would try to thread a pressure fitting onto straight threads and bury it in the wall.

Purchase a new box with the type of connection you want to use, either crimp pex or expansion pex depending on which system you're going to install.

Don't risk a leak inside the wall from jenky straight threads..

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is no way I would try to thread a pressure fitting onto straight threads and bury it in the wall.

Purchase a new box with the type of connection you want to use, either crimp pex or expansion pex depending on which system you're going to install.

Don't risk a leak inside the wall from jenky straight threads..
I wouldnt either and for the price a new box with arrestors might be worth it the old box with a sweat fitting might save 5 or 10 bucks wouldnt be hokey but just might be worth replacing box I probebly would go new and not strain the brain too much on saving a few bucks unless its very new

Eman85

Reaction score
Looking at replacement valves and I came across these instruction for Sharkbite brand valves.

These are the valves and it would seem they are straight MIP yet they say to use tape or dope.

I use crimp and cinch for my PEX connections.

No problem with replacing the valves, it's worth it to only do it once. What brand valves do you recommend?

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some instructions that come with a product are just copy and paste generic instructions which are seemingly written by children. I'm sure every plumber here worth their salt has threaded tapered threads onto straight threads.. It can be done, but when you do it and realize you've only got 2 threads deep before it bottoms out.. The word for it today is Cringe.

We use Sioux Chief Ox Box for all of our clothes washer boxes. The water box and the drain box are separate so placement is much more versatile. They can be side by side next to a stud or a stud in between them, or even stacked vertically or even spaced out on each side of the machines.

I believe the X suffix is the crimp style connection you're using.

696-G2313XF Link to Ferguson

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I havent used the Otter box I like the concept and convieniance , versatility can make for a cleanner and easier installation in many cases .
technically gotta have those hammer arrestors some where in the installation

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I havent used the Otter box I like the concept and convieniance , versatility can make for a cleanner and easier installation in many cases .
technically gotta have those hammer arrestors some where in the installation
I initially linked to the version without the hammer arrestors, but I thought I fixed the links for the version with. That is the only ones we buy and install.

Eman85

Reaction score
I'll look into the valves. I'm not changing the box if I can help it. So you use the hammer arrestors that are built on the valve? I've never had any hammer arrestors on this valve I have now and it's been on there for a long time.
I don't have a local plumbing supply, only 2 lumber yards near me for the basics. Been dependent on Lowes and Amazon for supplies. Been to the nearest Furgeson and they aren't the sharpest and not very helpful at all.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
its hit or miss even at a major supplier like ferguson. We are supposed to use arrestors Im not that impressed on thier importance but put them on when Im supposed to . it can help and its our required standard I cant re -write the code book. it does cost a bit more though

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I almost punched some jackass at the ferguson desk a couple months ago. Asked him for a box flange escutcheon. He asked me for the product number and when I obviously didn't know that he told me to go find it myself.

It ended up being on the shelf right in front of him.

Their websites will have pricing all over the place too. I have a PRO account and I will look at pricing while I'm logged out and when I log in the pricing increases on some items.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I called to ask them about a specific item a 1/2 inch sweat loose key hose bib , it must have took me 5 attempts to explain what loose key meant , i told him removeable handle etc. explained over and over the guy couldnt understand. it was only thing I needed and a small branch wanted to save a trip if they didnt have it.
I have a pro account too the prices are so damn high I never trust going on line price

Eman85

Reaction score
Great to see every trade has the same problems getting parts and materials! I have worked for decades as an auto tech and it has become a total joke trying to purchase parts. The online catalog at a place like Rock Auto is so much better than standing in front of someone that asks you the same question over and over and has no clue what you're trying to buy, and doesn't care if you buy or not. I am fortunate to have an electrical supply nearby with a great owner that is extremely knowledgeable. Unfortunately, not so much with plumbing. No inspections here and codes mean little so asking local plumbers doesn't get you the right answer, just how they do it.

Eman85

Reaction score
After doing some research it looks like plumbing also has the problem of Chinese parts. I found Eastman valves but they all state country of origin as China. So far the only USA brand I've found are Sharkbite brand with PEX crimp style barbs with 1/4 turn valves and no arrestors.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I cant say for sure but I think a lot of that eastman stuff is crappy , Siox chief I think is decent, I suppose you get right down to it an IPS threaded quality hose bibs probebly better than Oatey or Sioux chief and way easier to change . I still dont mind exposed hose bibs a small box just for the waste is good enough . that said I allways rough in with a box its just the way people plumb now a days and I go with the flow I think people either in the trade or not think its hokey to stub out with valves so Its the only way we do it now

Eman85

Reaction score
If the washer was in a basement, it wouldn't be a big deal. Washer is in a laundry area off of kitchen and pipes are in wall. I like single lever as my wife shuts the water when she's done with the wash. Don't want the horror of the broken hose when no one is home.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks