Washing Machine Ejection to deep sink is too fast

Users who are viewing this thread

thegallery

Reaction score
Anyone have a tip for slowing down the water ejecting from the washing machine into the deep sink? It shoots so fast and powerful that water covers the utility room floor.

Is there some kind of diffuser that can be put over the end? Right now it's like a fire hose!

Or is there a way to actually slow the propulsion down?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The washing machine is made to operate that way and you should not modify it in any way.

The problem is the drain is partly restricted and needs to be mechanically cleaned to restore the drain to its proper drain flow.

Is this an old stone/cement laundry tub?

thegallery

Reaction score
nope; drain flow is fine. The sink is not over filling. In fact, it's only when the sink fills up to about an 1" that there is enough water in it to stop itself from spraying out. The 1" or so acts as a buffer.

Imagine trying to fill and empty buck with a garden hose set on jet spray. For the first few seconds half the water just bounces back and flies right out of the bucket (and into your face!). But after a bit enough water is in the bottom of the bucket that it stops spraying out and begins to fill.

That's exactly what's happening with this sink. It shoots down hits the bottom and flies everywhere until enough water is in there to cushion it. I suppose i could put a sponge where it hits to soften the impact but it will probably get knocked out of the way. If I could diffuse the exit of the hose though, make it sort of rain into the sink, rather than the one powerful mega stream it is now...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might try cutting a leg from a pair of nylon hose and tying it over the end of the discharge hose. You can't do anything that will impede the flow. Is there a way you could plumb in a conventional standpipe? The drain and standpipe must be 2" to handle the flow.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
You might try cutting a leg from a pair of nylon hose and tying it over the end of the discharge hose.
works good

I would also try to angle the hose better.
Imagine trying to fill and empty buck with a garden hose set on jet spray.
If you angle the hose just right you will not loose a drop.

For sinks sometimes pointing the laundry hose down will cause it to splash out to the sink walls instead of shooting out.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Gary Swart said:
You might try cutting a leg from a pair of nylon hose and tying it over the end of the discharge hose.

That is what I would try, and that would also double as a lint filter to help keep non-organic stuff out of your septic tank, if you have one. But remember:

Gary Swart said:
You can't do anything that will impede the flow.

So, you will have to "change legs" every couple of weeks or so. Then, take the used one outside and turn it inside-out and let it dry out so you can shake off the lint and put it back in service the next time you switch them.

dowop

Reaction score
Sure you can... Sounds like there is no standpipe and that the hose from the washer is likely parallel to the basin. Your washer manual will indicate the maximum height of a an allowable standpipe. Raise the hose to that height and loop it before dumping into the basin. Every pump in the world is rated for a specific flow at a specified distance (height) from the head. You increase the distance from the head and you'll slow the flow... Simple physics! Likewise the lower the hose the faster it will evacuate. Don't go crazy with the height because at some point due to the atmospheric pressure and size of the pump motor, you wont be able to move any water at all and will likely burn the motor out. (This is why I said to look at your washer manual). This still may not fix your problem if you have drain issues, but FOR SURE will slow the flow to the basin.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Here's an idea, just an idea.
Diffuse the stream by adding a short length of 2" PVC with a non sanitary tee on the end and seal off the top end with maybe a bushing & mission clamp, then glue in 2 street 90's to direct the flow downward.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks