Washing Machine Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

divinemissem

Reaction score
I just moved into a duplex from an apartment and the washer/dryer is set up in the basement. Today, I went to run a cycle just with an appliance cleaning powder (LemiShine) and monitored it closely. I've never had this kind of washer before, so I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing. As it turns out, the washer drains into a bucket (see picture). The bucket has holes drilled into the bottom and it sits on top of the floor drain. I watched the water drain into the bucket, concerned it might overflow and sure enough, that's what would have happened if I hadn't been there to stop the washer. The holes in the bottom of the bucket couldn't keep up with the rate the water was flowing into the bucket. Not only is this incredibly annoying because I don't want to babysit every load of laundry I do, but I don't think this is an acceptable setup?? I've been doing some research and this is nowhere near anything I've seen. I don't know if it's against any codes or simply best practice and I don't know what the expectations are of my landlord. In this town, I'm happy to just have in-house laundry. Any help is appreciated!!

Attachments

• IMG_4790.PNG
    IMG_4790.PNG
    105.7 KB · Views: 192

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That doesn't meet any plumbing code, and the fact that it's backing up means even the junkyard fix is no good. Are there any pipes in the wall that at least a laundry tray can be plumbed to? Something like a pipe that actually drains?

divinemissem

Reaction score
Here’s what the whole set up looks like. I don’t think there is even a good way to fix it?

Attachments

• B12076F3-5E20-470E-8470-D54930D5B0CF.jpeg
    B12076F3-5E20-470E-8470-D54930D5B0CF.jpeg
    18.5 KB · Views: 184
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks