Washing machine drain/vent issue

Users who are viewing this thread

SarahBeth

Reaction score
We had our washing machine drain moved over a few feet so we could stack the washer and dryer. We used to get a real bad stink (sewer gas) occasionally and mistakenly thought it was the machine (we would run a cleaning cycle and it stopped for a few months). This was done by a professional plumber. But now we are getting sewer gas almost every time we use the washer. We made sure that the the drain hose wasn't going into the p-trap. The "professional plumber" said he has no idea how to fix it. I actually sale plumbing supplies so I'm not completely clueless and picked a few brains and the solution was to put in a sure-vent (Oatey brand). So we did and it still is gassing us out. I don't know what to do next. Frustration level 10.

Reach4

Reaction score
You only get the smell when you run the washing machine, if I understand correctly. If the trap siphons out due to bad venting, a washing machine usually slowly dribbles its last water into the standpipe. So the standpipe is unlikely to be empty at the end of the cycle.

I would look for a floor drain, with a dry trap, nearby. A smoke test could be in order if you cannot find the problem otherwise. I am not a plumber.

SarahBeth

Reaction score
Other than the shower there aren't any floor drains. Shower is on the opposite side of the house. We do laundry several times a week so it's my guess that there isn't time for a drain to dry out. I was also assuming from past drain cleaning that our dishwasher and sink drain met up with the washer's drain to the main but if that were the case wouldn't there be stink coming out of the kitchen sink when doing dishes and laundry at the same time. If I'm right then the issue is going to be somewhere between the washer drain and where ever it meets the main?

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you sure there is not a floor drain under the washer+dryer?

The floor drain trap only gets filled from that drain, and not by other drains handling water.

SarahBeth

Reaction score
The machines sit on a tile floor. Under that believe it or not there's hardwood. Yes the brilliant former owner tiled over the wood flooring. I don't think that spot for the laundry is original to the house because the drywall is from 2009 and the house is from the 50's. From the drain it goes to the p-trap, just off that is the sure-vent, then a few feet it connects via tee with side inlet (the tee is a black rubber boot), one side is where the washer drain connects the up is the vent, the exit side of the boot connects to cast iron (I had to talk to my husband to remember how it was set up). The boot was put in by the plumber because there was a slight drip leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks