Washing machine drain, stand pipe, P-trap considerations

Users who are viewing this thread

isotope

Reaction score
index.php

This is a really clean build of this washing machine box, stand pipe, and P-trap. If only I was so lucky to have this much space. Anyway, I have a couple questions about the P-trap and spacing...

Check out the attached picture. Isn’t the P-trap supposed to be attached so that the vertical part of the P-trap is connected to the stand pipe? And the smoother transition of the P-trap follows onward from there? It is not like that in the picture.

Also, the washer is in the corner of a room and I have some space and obstruction issues that prevent me from putting the vent pipe in the same stud bay as the P-trap. Would it be ok to put the vent pipe into the next stud bay? In order to do so, the short piece of pipe connecting the end of the P-trap to the sanitary tee would have to include a 90 degree elbow because the next adjacent stud bay is on wall that is at the corner of the room. Does that make sense?

Reach4

Reaction score
Check out the attached picture. Isn’t the P-trap supposed to be attached so that the vertical part of the P-trap is connected to the stand pipe? And the smoother transition of the P-trap follows onward from there? It is not like that in the picture.
What is the vertical part of the P-trap? In the photo, the vertical PVC pipe connected to the box is the standpipe. On the left you have a sanitary tee. The pipe above the santee is a vent pipe, and the pipe below is a drain pipe.

isotope

Reaction score
What is the vertical part of the P-trap? In the photo, the vertical PVC pipe connected to the box is the standpipe. On the left you have a sanitary tee. The pipe above the santee is a vent pipe, and the pipe below is a drain pipe.

Sorry. I wasn’t clear in my questions. The first question, I was just wondering about the orientation of the p-trap, and which side should connect to the drain. The U shaped portion of the p-trap has a “sweep”side. It’s not a big deal though. I think the sweep side can connect to either the vertical drain or to the other side closer to the horizontal drain pipe.

The second question I had was... would it be acceptable to use a 90 deg elbow between the trap and sanitary tee? I just can’t fit everything in one stud bay, and need to route the piping around a corner so I can put the vent pipe into the next stud bay.

Reach4

Reaction score
Sorry. I wasn’t clear in my questions. The first question, I was just wondering about the orientation of the p-trap, and which side should connect to the drain. The U shaped portion of the p-trap has a “sweep”side. It’s not a big deal though. I think the sweep side can connect to either the vertical drain or to the other side closer to the horizontal drain pipe.
Got it. It works fine both ways, but the opposite of the photo is preferred. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/proper-p-trap-orientation-flow-direction.74831/

The second question I had was... would it be acceptable to use a 90 deg elbow between the trap and sanitary tee? I just can’t fit everything in one stud bay, and need to route the piping around a corner so I can put the vent pipe into the next stud bay.
I think that is OK to have a long sweep in the horizontal. Maybe medium even. I am not sure. . I am not a plumber.

isotope

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
Ugh! I don’t have room for a long sweep elbow to get around the corner. Does anyone know if a standard 90 deg elbow is ok?
Vertical to horizontal needs to be long. There are different opinions on using medium for horizontal to horizontal I think.

isotope

Reaction score
Vertical to horizontal needs to be long. There are different opinions on using medium for horizontal to horizontal I think.

What about a horizontal to horizontal connection. Do I have to use a long sweep 90?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks