Washing Machine Drain Situation

Users who are viewing this thread

Darkflux

Reaction score
I have an unusual situation. I am relocating my laundry room appliances to an area adjacent to my kitchen. The kitchen is immediately above the basement area, and the adjacent area where the laundry room appliances will be is PAST the cement of the basement wall. So i will need to run the drain and source water pipes for the washing machine up from the basement and over to the new laundry area.

I don't see an issue with this for the source pipes, but is this okay for the drain pipes? All the diagrams I've ever seen show the 18-30" drainpipe height, and then P-trap and subsequent 6-18" pipe to floor, then down thru the floor. I've never seen one that goes off to the side. Will this be okay, or is there an alternative way?

I am in northern Indiana.

Reach4

Reaction score
You can run horizontally. You will need to vent the line after the trap, and then you can continue horizontally, or you could slope lower if you like.. You can turn down to the basement using a medium or long sweep 90 (horizontal to vertical). For 90 degree turns from horizontal to vertical, you need a long sweep.

Venting will probably be with an AAV.

Darkflux

Reaction score
Okay, thank you!
Wait, so after the P-trap, I can just keep going horizontal till I reach the kitchen floor, then a long sweeping 90? According to what I had read, it was 4" minimum and 5" maximum after the P-trap, before heading down. Did I read that wrong?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
4 inch minimum before the vent, and you might have read 5 ft max. However under IPC, 2 inch can go 8ft max before the vent. Maintain the 1/4 inch per foot extra-carefully if going that far.

Darkflux

Reaction score
4 inch minimum before the vent, and you might have read 5 ft max. However under IPC, 2 inch can go 8ft max before the vent. Maintain the 1/4 inch per foot extra-carefully if going that far.
I think you may be right. I should only need to go aout 3 foot, so that should work just fine. Thanks again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks