Washing Machine Drain in Kitchen

Users who are viewing this thread

detroittola

Reaction score
It is not uncommon for folks to come to the forum trying to get approval for improper plumbing ideas. In spite of our advice, they will continue to argue, hoping to find someone who will agree with what they want. It just doesn't work that way.

I'm not looking for anyone's approval. I knew it wasn't up to code when I started. I'm looking for reasons that it won't work that I might have missed. So far I know that I could burn out my drain pump. I'm willing to accept this as a risk. I've heard of no other negative scenarios that are based on actual principles of fluid flow.

It is not uncommon for folks in the trade to come on here and talk down to DIYs quoting the code as if it were biblical. Let's not forget that politics are involved in writing the code. The code can also be slow to change for say front load washers vs top load washers.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
I'm not looking for anyone's approval. I knew it wasn't up to code when I started. I'm looking for reasons that it won't work that I might have missed. So far I know that I could burn out my drain pump. I'm willing to accept this as a risk. I've heard of no other negative scenarios that are based on actual principles of fluid flow.

It is not uncommon for folks in the trade to come on here and talk down to DIYs quoting the code as if it were biblical. Let's not forget that politics are involved in writing the code. The code can also be slow to change for say front load washers vs top load washers.
DIYers seem to be welcome here. Asking a question and the arguing with the answer usually doesn't go too well.

The code is not "biblical", it is a minimum standard. Politics? Really? As far as front loaders, the UPC was changed to 2 inch drains, not 3/4 inch...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The codes were written and evolved by experience and trying to keep everyone safe from those 'what if' situations. You should try to do it at least to the minimum code.

detroittola

Reaction score
The codes were written and evolved by experience and trying to keep everyone safe from those 'what if' situations. You should try to do it at least to the minimum code.

I cannot have a washer/dryer in my condo unit and still follow code. If possible, I would have done exactly that. All I was asking for were possible problems associated with my work around. I don't see a safety issue and no one has pointed one out. I have ran it a couple of times now and it seems to be working fine. To say that things won't work and/or won't be safe if the code is violated is a major cop out. I just thought I'd get more thought out responses than "you are violating the code so it will never work."

detroittola

Reaction score
DIYers seem to be welcome here. Asking a question and the arguing with the answer usually doesn't go too well.

The code is not "biblical", it is a minimum standard. Politics? Really? As far as front loaders, the UPC was changed to 2 inch drains, not 3/4 inch...

My drain is actually 1 1/2". The 3/4" PVC is effectively an extended drain hose since it is the same size as the hose. The place was built in 1972. It works so far and I don't even see any water backing up in the sink.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
So does your Condo have a shared laundry room ?

Did the owner approve your install ?

Houptee

Reaction score

Yes you are correct politics and special interests do have impact on the codes, such as the long delayed approval of PEX in the USA, and the looming requirement to install residential fire sprinklers in new single family homes.

Since we live in a so-called free country, you can install whatever you want but with the knowledge that your actions could result in property damage to your own, or others property, so there is inherent risk in doing work without a permit and inspections, and you will be liable personally for the actions you take.

But without risk comes no reward.

So if you are willing to take a risk of a leak and deal with its consequences for the reward of having a washer and dyer in your condo then that is your decision just be careful and check for leaks daily and hope you never have issues before you move out.

DonL

Reaction score
Yes you are correct politics and special interests do have impact on the codes, such as the long delayed approval of PEX in the USA, and the looming requirement to install residential fire sprinklers in new single family homes.

Since we live in a so-called free country, you can install whatever you want but with the knowledge that your actions could result in property damage to your own, or others property, so there is inherent risk in doing work without a permit and inspections, and you will be liable personally for the actions you take.

So if you are willing to take a risk of a leak and deal with its consequences for the reward of having a washer and dyer in your condo then that is your decision just be careful and check for leaks daily and hope you never have issues before you move out.

I must say, That was nice.

Have a Great Day.

detroittola

Reaction score

I 100% agree with everything that you said.

Asktom

Reaction score
The problem comes if the sink drain starts to back up - the combination of greasy water and linty water are a classic clog compo. If it does happen, hope you aren't defrosting a turkey in the sink while washing a big batch of dirty shorts.

DonL

Reaction score
Yes, off of the shared parking garage. It's not uncommon for clothes to be stolen from these machines.

I am the owner, so yes.

That does suck, that people would take your clothes. They need Video cameras so you can watch from your condo, and grab your shotgun.

That is cool that you gave yourself permission, I do that all the time.

Good Luck.

Houptee

Reaction score
Like asktom said, and also remember, when you reconnect the dishwasher to the disposal, and if you turn on the disposal, dishwasher, and washer draining all at same time it will backup into the sink!

detroittola

Reaction score
Like asktom said, and also remember, when you reconnect the dishwasher to the disposal, and if you turn on the disposal, dishwasher, and washer draining all at same time it will backup into the sink!

We won't run them both at the same time although we put in a deep single basin sink so I'm sure it can handle a backup if it ever happens. The most water my washer will ever use is 13 gallons for a full load.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks