Washing machine drain help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Daryle Lewis

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first time posting and I am desperate for some help. I little background on me. I grew up doing plumbing and electrical with my dad who was a master electrician/plumber. I can do finish and water line plumbing all day but I am by no means an expert when it comes to DWV. After my dad passed away we purchased a home that had 2 living areas with separate entrances/ driveways so i could help take care of my mom. She lives downstairs which is a fully finished walk-out basement and I live upstairs. The basement ust needed room built and finish plumbing, but all the rough in was already there. I have attached an image to help show what I am dealing with. There is an upstairs and downstairs utility room that are directly above each other. Both washing machines share a drain that is vented to roof. When the upstairs washing machine drains suds AND water pour out of the downstairs washing machine drain, flooding the floor. Just to be clear we have been in this house 12 years and this started about 2 years ago. One of my concerns is that where the drain goes into the slab it HAS to go below the footer, I am worried it may have settled and corrupted the drain line. I have tried dry solvent drain cleaner which has not helped at all. I have asked a couple people and they say it is plumbed wrong and there is not suds relief. I understand that may be true BUT why wouldn't it have done this the entire time? Any advice you guys could give would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you! Daryle

Attachments

• Plumbing.png
    Plumbing.png
    137 KB · Views: 2,226

Reach4

Reaction score
How long since you got the septic pumped?

I have tried dry solvent drain cleaner which has not helped at all.
Pouring drain cleaner into a septic tank can kill needed bacteria. What is a solvent drain cleaner?

I think your venting is not quite right, but I don't know if that is the problem. Is there a blockage restricting flow from the floor drain area maybe? If your septic has been emptied in the last year, I would be thinking of getting the sub-basement-floor pipe rodded.

Is your lot deeply sloped? An exit below the basement floor to the septic is not common. Often with a basement, there is a pit and ejector pump to raise the basement sewage up to the higher level. If your septic is significantly downhill from the house, that could allow the pipe to the septic being below the basement floor.

I am not a plumber.

Daryle Lewis

Reaction score
How long since you got the septic pumped?

Pouring drain cleaner into a septic tank can kill needed bacteria. What is a solvent drain cleaner?

I think your venting is not quite right, but I don't know if that is the problem. Is there a blockage restricting flow from the floor drain area maybe? If your septic has been emptied in the last year, I would be thinking of getting the sub-basement-floor pipe rodded.

Is your lot deeply sloped? An exit below the basement floor to the septic is not common. Often with a basement, there is a pit and ejector pump to raise the basement sewage up to the higher level. If your septic is significantly downhill from the house, that could allow the pipe to the septic being below the basement floor.

I am not a plumber.

Our septic has not been emptied recently, but the basement washer drains perfectly fine, along with all other fixtures in the house. Yes, I live in east tennessee where almost all yards are deeply sloped (see attached crappy picture). As far a drain cleaner, I guess solvent was the wrong word. Honestly I have no idea why I said that, I think I've read too much lately on this subject and the info is starting to run together in my head. I used the 100% lye drain cleaner...

Attachments

• house.png
    house.png
    197.3 KB · Views: 435

Daryle Lewis

Reaction score
This may be a terrible idea.. But could I install a backwater valve at one of the locations shown?

Attachments

• valve.png
    valve.png
    112.9 KB · Views: 466

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think snaking is the better option for that. It worked fine for ten years? You may have lint in there that needs removal.

All washers need venting on the p-traps with standpipes.
I did see a home once where the washer was cut into the downstairs without it's own vent, and when the upstairs sink was drained, it forced water out of the standpipe there too.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
The result of not getting the septic pumped in time is very expensive. Look into how long it has been. If you get the system pumped earlier than needed, the extra expense is not so much. If you need it every 4 years but get it done after 2, you have wasted what -- $200 divided by 2, or $250 divided by 2? Maybe you are remote enough that there will be a travel charge. Still, clogging your leach field would cost several thousand.

You might be able to get by by extending your standpipe. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-washing-machine-drain-pipe.1514/#post-480688
Even more of a work-around would be to plug the basement stand pipe when not in use. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-2-in-Gripper-Mechanical-Plastic-Test-Plug-33401/100346775 is a 2 inch size.

Do you have an accessible cleanout above the drain line for the problem standpipe?

Regarding lye in the septic, lye is effective against grease, but less so much other things. See page 3 of http://waterquality.cce.cornell.edu/publications/CCEWQ-16-HouseholdChemicalsSeptic.pdf

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks